Pre-1997 Models

CEL and running hot

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL and running hot

whats up i got a 96 5.0 5speed 2wd and i flushed the coolant b/c it looked like gravel, ok well a few days later its running a lil hot , in goes to R on normal before it wouldn't pass N , then i'm driving w/ the a/c on and the cel pops up, i guess i need to pull some codes but did anyone else have this problem before ??? looking for a code reader right now any info appreciated, and i'll be posting back

Old 10-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Many parts stores will pull OBD-II codes free, so call around. Write down the WHOLE code (a letter & 4 numbers), have them clear it, then write down the FULL code definition & post it.

Codes don't EVER tell you to change a part - they tell you where to START your diagnosis. So don't start spending money until you've IDed the fault.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:10 AM
steve, thank you for your response i will get the codes pulled and cleared and post back, thanks again you saved me some time and $$$$...

Old 10-04-2007, 10:58 AM
ok well the light is now off and the bulb isn't burned out, thats why i took a few days to see if it would come on to get the codes read, its off now but i don't know what that means????

Old 10-04-2007, 06:33 PM
If the CEL went off on it's own it means that the ECU either "fixed" the issue, or it is no longer receiving a sensor reading out of tolerances.

My 5.8L does that every so often, particularly in high humidity/rainy days. The light comes on, car drives totally fine, and goes off by itself either the next day or sometimes even a few minutes later.

As long as it's driving normally and not using excessive oil or coolant, it's not a big cause for concern. If you notice anything unusual (poor MPG, funny smell, poor performance) then it needs to be checked out even if the CEL isn't on.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Get the codes read & cleared anyway. The light stays on while there's a critical fault, but the code will stay for ~50 key cycles. You still need to fix the problem.

Quick Reply: CEL and running hot