Pre-1997 Models

door swap / lock cylinder ?? '88 f-150

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door swap / lock cylinder ?? '88 f-150

I'm considering swapping doors on my '88 f150. I've located a nice set, almost no rust at all (the reason i'm swapping). The donor doors were out of a salvage yard and no key comes with them. B/c they are totally complete (all glass and interior parts intact) and b/c I tend to avoid unnecessary 'disassemby' on old stuff if I can somehow avoid it................... here is my question(S):

A) Can I either get a key made by dealer or a locksmith for the existing locks in the donor doors, to avoid swapping out the cylinders?

B) What should I expect to pay (just a ballpark idea) for key at dealer and/or to have a locksmith key it?

*********** If it matters, these are manual door lock and manual window, both on existing doors and on the potential donor doors ***********

Old 09-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Takes about five minutes to swap the door lock cylinders. Pull door panel, pop off lock rod connected to the cylinder. Slide out metal tab lock from the outside of the door jam, pull out lock. Reverse for instal.

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't even have to pull the door panel. Pull the metal clip from the back edge of the door right behind the lock cylinder, lift the cylinder out of the door carefully working the lever & operating rod out. Making SURE not to drop the rod, unhook it from the lever, put the new LC on, & put it all back in.

Any locksmith can make an "impression" key for the new LCs for $20-40, but it's better to have one cut "by the numbers". A dealer can look up the numbers if you have the VIN for the donor doors AND it's not too old. Or the locksmith can make the impression key, then he or the dealer can measure it to get the numbers & cut another key.

Only pay the dealer/locksmith for 1 key (2 if you go the impression/number route) and then get it duplicated at Wal-Mart (etc.).

Old 10-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks Steve

The donor doors are off an 88 or 89 I think. My friend got them from a salvage yard, so I think maybe they (the yard) could look up the records... I think they are required to keep track of VIN's/transactions etc. Not totally sure on that though.

I'd really like to get the new keys and avoid the swap, partly b/c it saves some work and me possibly breaking/losing something, but also, my existing doors are not horrible (and they have excellent glass, and are complete), so having keys would be desireable to anyone that might buy those too.

Thanks of for the tips. Perhaps I'll start by checking with the salvage yard forthe VIN, then try a locksmith.

Thanks

Quick Reply: door swap / lock cylinder ?? '88 f-150