Pre-1997 Models

Code 122 after replacing TPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Code 122 after replacing TPS

I had an earlier thread detailing my whole ordeal, but to sum it up: I got in my truck the other day and it just didn't want to get up to speed. I pulled the codes and got three different ones related to the TPS (121, 122, and 125).

After asking around, I decided to just go ahead and replace it. Once I got the new sensor in, I started the truck up and after a couple seconds the CEL came back on. I went ahead and checked the codes again and I'm still getting a code 122. Just to test it, I drove it down the street and back and it seems fine until I get past about half throttle, then things start to mess up.

So is it possible I got bad sensor? Or is there some way to adjust it? I know on my Camaro the holes are elongated so you can turn the sensor, but these aren't like that.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
It's far more likely you have a wiring fault for the TPS connector than a bad TPS (or two).

Backprobe the connector. One pin should be ground, one should be 5.0 V, the third should vary from just under 1.0 V at idle position to almost the supply voltage at full throttle position with a smooth transition over the whole range of throttle position movement. Test with the ignition switch in RUN but without starting the engine.

Steve

Old 07-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can find a more detailed explanation on http://rjminjectiontech.com/ or his older site http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/ . The Haynes manual also shows the procedure in detailed photos.

Quick Reply: Code 122 after replacing TPS