Pre-1997 Models

E-Brake, ABS Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-Brake, ABS Light

Okay, so as you may know, I've been overhauling my rear drum brakes for the last two days.

I installed new wheel cylinders, new shoes, new hardware (springs, etc) and am now to the point of bleeding my brakes.

Only thing is, I made the stupid mistake of letting the resevoir run dry, so now I'm wondering what I have to do. I heard a lot of people saying 'DON'T LET IT GO DRY!!" so I'm wondering what I've gotten myself into.

Also, since putting the new brakes on, both the E-Brake and ABS light refuse to turn off, even with the E-Brake disengaged. What may be causing this, and what should I do to resolve the issue? Thanks much guys.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The low fluid level is keeping the lights on. Get a Haynes manual. It explains how to pull RABS-II codes, and has a code list. It also explains how to bleed the brakes, if refilling the fluid doesn't firm up the pedal.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the system bled, finally got the lights to behave properly by bleeding the RABS system. The pedal feels pretty good, a little softer than before. I'm attributing this to being a moron and having trouble bleeding the brakes. I will have my buddy who is more experienced with brake bleeding help me out when he returns from North Dakota. Thanks for the knowledge once again, Steve.

P.S.: I am already a proud and happy owner of the Hayne's manual. What a life saver.

Quick Reply: E-Brake, ABS Light