Pre-1997 Models

Trans surging and slipping

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans surging and slipping

Hey Guys,
I have a 1993 F150, 4X4, 5.0L, E4OD trans. The trans was slipping every once in a while and I changed the filter. The pan was very clean, some normal metalic on the magnet, but no debries in the pan. It was acting much better and changed my shift points by 2 MPH. Then it started "slipping" again. I don't think it is the clutches or band, I feel that it is electrical. It is very intermittent. I can feel the trans surge some times when I am getting up to speed on a level surface. If I look at the tach it moves about 100-200 RPM with the surge. It will drive great for a day of two and then act up. Anyone have any similar experiences or a starting point. Thanks Guys.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might want to hit the transmission forums for more in depth answers on this one but:

I've talked to several people that have noticed changes after a flush and fill. I didn't really notice any changes when I did mine, but I did notice changes after a few performance mods. If your "surge" is in fact the clutches engaging and locking up, at times it can feel like problems.

When I did my mods the 3rd gear lockup of the clutches was much more noticed, almost like a soft gear shift. I've also had times that the disengagement would take place with just a slight bit more throttle, when the engine was turning low revs. I guess that there can be a fine line between the lockup point and unlocking the clutches at times.

Are there any specific conditions your symptoms are taking place under?

Quick Reply: Trans surging and slipping