Pre-1997 Models

Electrical/Ignition problem 1990 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical/Ignition problem 1990 5.0

I'm new to this board so I am looking for some help from anyone who is willing to offer.

My vehicle is a 1990 F-150 5.0L 2WD Ex-cab, 83K miles. As I was driving to work yesterday morning my engine light flashed once and then the motor just shut down. it didnt hesitate or anything just shut completely down and refused to start after that. once I got it home I went to the fuel filters first, they were clean and the fuel pumps were pumping so I'm getting fuel. then I went to the control module, replaced it and still it wont turn over. I then checked the coil for a spark and after getting a nice zap i assumed the coil was good. Spark plugs were next....no spark, tried 3 different plugs and wires....still no spark so I ruled in favor of the distributor. replaced the dist and still nothing. so I went back to the coil, once I checked it again it would only spark every now and then when it shoud be arcing constantly. No bug deal $13 part so I replace it. STILL nothing. When I replace the dist. I set the engine to 0 and the dist to one so its in correct time. Where do I go from here....I'm at a lose.

Also I hear that I can check the SES code by jumping the system with a paper clip by counting how many times the light blink and matching that up to a reference....si this true?

thanks for your help
Dustin Fletcher
La Porte, TX

Old 10-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

Computer codes can be read yourself using the procedure here.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Post up what you find code wise and we'll go from there.

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-25-2005, 12:42 PM
OK...I received codes 14, 31. I know the code is the PIP circuit. I had replaced the control module mounted on the distributor last thrusday but this did not solve the problem. I even took both the old and new module to autozone for a check and they both were in good condition.
Code 31 has to do with the EGR but I dont think this would cause the engine to not start.

I have also discovered that I am not getting spark from the coil. Where does the coil receive the signal from in order to create a spark....the control module? I also went through as listed in my Hayes manual and check some voltage readings with the PIP out signal and what not. From what I can remember the voltage was reading good. I'm just puzzled as to why I'm not getting any spark at all.

Pathetically enough the guy at autozone (8th grade education type) was trying to tell me my computer/brain was fried and wanted me to buy a new one. Anyhow, any help is greatly appreciated. 1 car for a 2 working parent family is getting rough.

Thanks
Dustin F
TX

Old 10-28-2005, 03:53 PM
I want you to do two things for me. First, remove the distributor cap and have someone crank over the engine while you watch the rotor just to make sure it's spinning. If it is, then put the cap back on. The second thing I want you to try is to remove the spout connector and try and start it with it removed.

Post your results.

Quick Reply: Electrical/Ignition problem 1990 5.0