Pre-1997 Models

thinking about selling the 03 FX4 for a 88-96 F150. what do

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking about selling the 03 FX4 for a 88-96 F150. what do

well i bought my 03 FX4 right when my unit got back from iraq i got it with 0percent apr and on the A plan but i only put like 2000 dollars down on it. well my truck cost me 420 a month and my insurance cost 768 every 6 months. (i also have a 95 tbird in storage.) and i owe about 14000 on my truck yet. i figure i could ask around 20995 for my fx4 its only got 20k miles on it. then i could use that to buy a older 88-96 f150 and that would get rid of my monthly payment and drop my insurace to 353 every 6 months. see im not really struggling for money right now. its just im 22 years old just bought a house and have all these other bills. i can afford everything right now but it just makes it hard to save money. there is a few things im trying to do to my house and that extra 420 a month would really add up. im just trying to get some opinoins. what do you think?

also i don't tow anything just like to hunt and fish im debaiting between a 2wd or a 4wd i know in these michigan winters a 4wd would be nice but i always hear the 2wd has less problems becase its less parts to go wrong. anyways i only put on about 10-15k on a year on a vechical and figure if i can find one with about 80k on it, it should like over 200k right? im leaning twards a 302 because i hear they are a really strong and reliable truck.

any suggestions?

Old 07-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Well any of the engine choices from 87 to 96 would be good ones. The 300six will run forever and is a good lugger. The 302 is a nice high winder good HP motor, and the 351 is well a bigger 302.

One thing I can tell ya having both new and these older trucks is while you might not have monthly payements, they still have a way with draining your checking account... Parts are starting to hit their life cycle and it is nice to have a truck under warrenty and for the most part pretty dependable. Not saying the older iron isn't, but still.

For example, just bought the other month a 88 bronco. Got it for cheap and was gonna be my college beater. Then to get it ready put in...

Starter
Battery
Battery cables
New wiring
Plugs + wires
Tranny flush (stupid AOD with no drainplug)
Water pump
Radiator
Hoses
Tires (ouch)
Front end rebuild (ouch)
Belts
Airhorns (Ok, so I didn't neeeeed that)
Diff fluid change
Fender rot fixed
Repainted

Anyway, I have easily doubled the worth of the truck just in parts doing all the labor myself that did take a lot of my time.

So you need to just look at where you spend your money.

88K by the way.

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-27-2005, 11:12 PM
Well, I can't afford your FX4, but I could sell you my 95 4.9L. It's a good solid truck. These are good trucks, and while the 4.9 isn't a V8, it's a good and solid engine. If taken care of, it'll last forever.

Old 07-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by tbird9768
Well, I can't afford your FX4, but I could sell you my 95 4.9L. It's a good solid truck. These are good trucks, and while the 4.9 isn't a V8, it's a good and solid engine. If taken care of, it'll last forever.
If it is what you want go for it. I personally would like to have a warrenty for my truck after all the work I have been doing on mine lately. Good luck and Go Army!

John

Old 07-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Suspended
my thought's....If you want a older truck to be the last truck you will ever buy, Than it's worth it, when it breaks's fix it...If you just want to cut cost's and go back to a new truck later on, than your shooting your self in the foot cause you will lose twice on the depreacation of a new truck, + the repairs you put into the older truck...

Old 07-31-2005, 01:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say keep the new truck if your going to get another new one a few years down the road but if your going to keep the older truck and keep it running and looking good and maybe enter it in a classic car and truck show every now and then go for it.

Quick Reply: thinking about selling the 03 FX4 for a 88-96 F150. what do