Pre-1997 Models

is the A/C really worth fixing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the A/C really worth fixing?

My 91's a/c hasn't worked since we bought it, and i could care less if it was in the truck what-so-ever. My friend had removed the a/c from his truck and gained like 10 horses from it. Should i disconnect it like my friend did or try fixing it or what? I would like the horse power, but are there any effects or disadvantages of doing this?

Old 02-09-2005, 06:25 PM
I see no problem whatsoever with disconnecting the AC on a truck in Wisconsin. If you want to bypass it, you will need a shorter belt. Check with your friend and find out what he did is the best way.

Robbie

Old 02-14-2005, 09:57 PM
My friend has an older ford ranger. He said he had a separate belt for the a/c, it's a v6. Should i take the whole a/c system out? or just disconnect it? What would be involved to take the compressor or whatever else off. Will it effect anything else if i take it off?

Old 02-14-2005, 10:13 PM
If you try to remove the ac compressor, you will need a shorter belt. You will not notice anything if you just leave it where it is and you can run the factory belt. You won't notice any power increase as your friend did,however. So, as long as the ac compressor pulley turns freely, just leave everything as it is, but just for grins, unplug the electrical connector at the compressor.

Robbie

Old 02-14-2005, 10:39 PM
what would be the advantage of unpluging the electrical connector at the compressor? I would notice a power increase if i just took the whole thing off and got a shorter belt, right?

Old 02-16-2005, 08:19 PM
Well, if it doesn't work, the connector will be fine. You won't notice any significant difference powerwise, by taking it off, because it only uses minimal power just to turn the pulley on the compressor. Take the belt off and turn the pulley by hand and you'll see what I mean. If you leave it as it is, it will be easier to obtain belts in the future. If you remove it, then you have to take time to find the right belt and keep track of its part number so you don't have to go through all of that mess again.

Robbie

Quick Reply: is the A/C really worth fixing?