Pre-1997 Models

Help for the Ignorant!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Help for the Ignorant!

Hello All,
A buddy of mine has a 1989 f250 witha 351 init. It is a pretty nice truck but you can't drive it for more than 20 minutes. It will just shut off. Once it cools down, it will restart and run ok for a little while, then it happens all over again. He has had some "Mechanic" friend work on it, and it used to run OK untill then. He also has alot of issues with ignition wires. They keep melting on him. They are not touching the manifold. He doesn't have alot of extra $$. I told him to bring it to a real mechanic, but he is kind of thickheaded. A local parts stores pulled some codes and sold him some parts, EGR and Mass Air flow, but it didn't help. Any suggestions? If he could get this thing to run, it is a nice truck. Nice lift and everything. He also needs to replace lines to the rear tank, but the dealers say that he can't buy new lines. Is that true? Do you know where he can get them?
Thanks

Pablo

Old 01-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Boneyards for the lines... and any other parts.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Sounds like it could be the ignition module on the distributor going bad. Also the stator, inside the distributor, is what the module hooks to. If you replace the module, I recommend to replace the stator, also. This requires removing and disassembly of the distributor, then reinstalling and retiming the engine. Also, check fuel pressure at the valve just behind the distributor should be bet. 35 and 40psi. May have a bad pump. I'd suspect the ignition module first, however. When it doesn't run, do you have spark? Fuel? Determine which one is gone, and it will narrow down your problem.

Robbie

Quick Reply: Help for the Ignorant!