Pre-1997 Models

Full Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full Restoration

Hey guys. In the summer of 2002, I bought a 1982 Ford F-150XLT Ranger Explorer, 2WD, LongBed Single cab. The engine is a 300 C.I.D. Inline Six, with a 3spd Automatic Transmission, no O.D. After driving and working on it, I came to the conclusion that it is mechanically sound. It will run for the entire tank of gas without even sputterring, it will start up with half a second or less of key turn, regardless of weather, nothing on it is jury-rigged together, the only engine problem it has it an oil leak from when I installed a Sun-Pro Classic Line Oil PSI Guage, which I will fix as soon as it's not so butt-*** cold outsied. It only has 128,000 miles on it, and runs great. I am using Blue Oval Truck Parts for everything aside from the drivetrain, but I was wondering who could give me some information on who or where I could go for the engine, Tranny, and exhaust parts? I plan to restore the truck to a state of no rust, new paint, new wheels and tires, and a slightly performance oriented engine. It looks like I will be sticking with the I-6 for power, though I'll be swapping the transmission out for a 5-spd Stick from a local boneyard, from the same vintage truck. I'll include pictures as I go, but if anyone has gone after a porject like this before, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, guys, in advance, Because you people know more about these trucks and engines and etc. than anyone in the world has any right to know.

Last edited by LeClarion; 01-15-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:24 PM
The 300 six is arguably the best torque monster around for under 300 cubic inches. They make four barrel manifolds, headers, and camshafts for that engine. I have an 82 myself and am going to convert it to four wheel drive and I have always wanted to "build" the six cylinder. I think I will have a little fun with the old girl.

Robbie

Old 01-10-2005, 04:03 PM
a 4x4 conversion would definitely be next on my list after the engine is built... Have you done it? How hard is it? Can I do it? etc...

Quick Reply: Full Restoration