Pre-1997 Models

steering getting loose, shimmy at 30mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
steering getting loose, shimmy at 30mph

My 92 2x2 steering is starting to shimmy at around 30mph. Also noticed a minor clunking when going over speed bumps. Took it to a shop and they said the rack and pinion needs adjustment, but that if they adjust it a leak will develop. They advised to leave it alone. I'd like to work on this myself. Has anyone done this repair? How hard is it to rebuild the rack if a leak starts? What is the adjustment process like?

Old 01-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's simple, and it never caused a leak on my truck or any other truck that i have done it on. Search these forums, i know that step by step instructions have been posted a few times.

-Jon

Old 01-04-2005, 12:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or find a different shop with someone who knows what he's talking about. Adjusting the slop out of the steering box can't cause any leak by itself. However, it's very easy to tighten the adjustment too far and screw up the steering box.

Find the adjustment bolt on your steering box. It's a stud with a flat slot cut in it and locked in place with a hex nut. The idea is to hold the bolt in place with a screwdriver while you loosen the nut with a wrench, but it's usually too tight to do it that way and you will stab yourself with the screwdriver due to limited access.

Make note of the position of the screwdriver slot. Use a deep socket with extensions and big ratchet to break the locking nut loose, then snug it back up. Now you can adjust the screw using a screwdriver and wrench. Hold the stud with the screwdriver while loosening the nut a half turn. Tighten the stud down about a quarter turn then hold it in place while you snug down the locking nut. It will most likely turn some more but do not let it tighten up more than a half turn. Test drive the vehicle.

Keep in mind that overtightening this adjustment will cause excessive friction in the steering and it won't return to center by itself while driving. This can make your truck difficult to drive safely and you end up wandering all over the road.

Good luck. It's easy, but also easy to screw up.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the tips. I also noticed that the steering wheel shaft has some side play. How difficult is it to check and replace the shaft if necessary?

Old 01-04-2005, 07:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never seen or heard of the shaft being replaced (except maybe in a body shop for a wreck rebuild). A better idea might be to check the rag joint on the steering shaft. It's like a reinforced rubber disc used like a U-joint on the steering shaft. Deterioration and movement of the body mounts will cause the body to move independently of the frame enough to eventually tear this joint. They are usually shot on vehicles over 10 years old and more than 120K miles. Replacing it will tighten up your steering slop. Check at Auto Zone for the part.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Well mine is 12 years old and 140,000 miles, so I'll check the rag joint. Thanks.

Quick Reply: steering getting loose, shimmy at 30mph