Pre-1997 Models

underdrive pulley effects on tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy underdrive pulley effects on tranny

i installed an underdrive pulley kit from ford motorsports on my '92 F150 with a 302 v8 and E4OD trans. not long after doing so the alternator began to charge on the low end, if at all. the transmission began to shift extremely hard, as if i had installed a shift kit on it, i had not. the motor seemed to run fine, except for ocassional hard starts, that i assume were associated with a poorly charged battery. after 5-6 months of this i removed the underdrive pulleys and went back to the originals. the transmission problems still persist, though. sometimes it is worse than other times, but it never ceases totally! if i remove the battery cables for an hour or so it seems to improve, but it does not take it long to 'relearn' it's old habit.
the truck is down now due to a suspected Air Mass Sensor, but when i get it running again i have no doubt that this problem will persist!
has anyone out there ever had this problem before or know with some certainty what may be the cause of it and how to fix it. all help will certainly be appreciated!!!

GO BLUE OVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-29-2004, 09:01 PM
Has nothing to do with the underdrive pullies, the hard shift is a common problem on the e40d, mine did the same thing. A tranny shop should be able to pull codes out of it and advise you on the best course of action, could be something simple like a sticking solenoid. Or even something related to the engine like a bad tps.

-Jon

Old 12-31-2004, 09:30 AM
Once again, I agree with Jon.

BTW, they put MAF's on '92 F150's??? Don't think I realized that.

Old 12-31-2004, 06:07 PM
just for the heck of it

i replaced my tps sensor and that was the problem on mine shifting hard sometimes try that .

Quick Reply: underdrive pulley effects on tranny