Pre-1997 Models

Anybody using an inline fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody using an inline fuel pump?

Is anyone using an inline fuel pump, or know someone that is on our style trucks? I was just curious on how you mount it. Do you remove the in tank pump or leave it?
What if you have dual tanks? Do you have to run 2 inline pumps?

Old 11-18-2004, 03:58 PM
I'm interested in the subject as well...there's gotta be someone that's tried it.....

Old 11-23-2004, 08:23 PM
My stock 87 has a primary rail pump, and, secondary "primer" pumps in each tank. Mounted between them is a "switching valve" that is activated via forced gravity when the tank selection is made at the dash switch.

Each tank-pump only kicks on long enough for fuel to be carried by vacuum past the "switching valve" to the primary pump, which then carries the pressurized flow to the engine.

The design works, but lacks durability, and requires constant maintenance and parts replacement. If you're looking for a system to use on a custom installation, I would opt for an isolated oversized (40 gal.) stainless steel fuel cell, and a high flow adjustable high performance fuel pump.

Old 11-25-2004, 04:24 AM
Inline Fuel Pump

I am using a low pressure inline electric fuel pump on a single tank 1982 F-150 with a crate SVO 460 because an electric fuel pump was recommended by Ford Racing. I don't see why you could not get away with a high pressure single inline pump for single or dual tanks. The only problem I can forsee is the tank level sending unit. From 1988 forward the pump and sending unit are a single part for all engines size including the 460.

Now the question is, if the original sending units still work, can you just clip the old pump wire ~or~ would the older style (prior to EFI) sending unit mount in the newer style tanks?

The above would be a less costly alternative to a 40 Gal fuel cell but not nearly as easy to get up and running.

Last edited by 05KRTexas; 11-25-2004 at 04:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Anybody using an inline fuel pump?