Pre-1997 Models

Newbie here....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie here....

Just got a '94 F-150 with the I6.

It squealed like a banshee and ran a bit rough. I cleaned the injectors (Thanks PKRWUD!) and topped up the power steering fluid (it was empty) and all's well.

It's going to the dealer today for maintenance and a full check-up.

Living in Ontario I've never owned a vehicle more than three years old, and you rarely see anything over 5 years on the road. This one seems to be in very good shape considering its age. I got it from a guy who lived north of Lake Superior, so it hasn't seen too much salt.

This is gonna be fun.

Chris

Old 10-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the site!

BTW, you have an excellent name!!!

Take care,
~Chris

Old 10-29-2004, 12:24 AM
Thanks.

I think I'll be here a fair bit. My truck has seen a few Ontario winters.

The body is in great shape, with no rust that I can find but there are parts that are near dust. I'm amazed it still runs. It sat for six months before I got it and it looks like hasn't had any maintenance in at least a year. I've replaced all the fluids right off the bat, but every hose is cracked or rusted. It leaks oil, gas, and ate a bottle of power steering fluid in a week. I knew when I got it that there would be some work involved. Thing is, I'm not sure where to start.

I'm thinking a new pressure and return hose for the PS will be step one. After that, replace the rusted-to-dust rear fuel tank and replace a stuck fuel filter. So far the tank looks like the only fuel leak. It lost 1/2 tank in a day. After that I'm not sure. I've only had it a week, so I'll be watching to see how fast it loses oil. Maybe the air & vaccum hoses or maybe the oil. Dunno. I'm a computer guy. I'm no mechanic. Apart from all the leaky hoses everything works well enough.

I want to replace everything that needs replacing soon. I'm getting it rustchecked and it has to be done before the weather gets below freezing. That'll be two or three weeks from today.

Chris

Old 10-30-2004, 12:12 AM
In my opinion...

1) Oils and fluids
2) Fuel system (tank, lines, filter, etc.)
3) Hoses (vacuum, radiator, and heater)
4) Tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve)
***note: your pcv valve is in the top of the valve cover, at the rear of the engine. You have to feel for it under the intake/throttle body.***
5) Fan belt

Quick Reply: Newbie here....