Pre-1997 Models

Instrument cluster swap - new question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 12:51 AM
CXI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument cluster swap - new question

I've searched through all the old topics on this subject and I have a question that I didn't find an answer to in the old threads. I am able to get a matching 95 cluster w/tach to replace my existing one, although it has a shift indicator while I have a manual shift (that shouldn't be an issue, just remove it). The cluster with the tach is supposed to be functional, but it is weather worn and dirty which makes me skeptical. The typical replacement instructions say to take your old speedo and put it in the new cluster, then install the new cluster. Is it also possible to take the tach and gauge sections from the replacement cluster and put them in my old cluster, or is there additional wiring/circuits in the cluster necessary for the change in position of the gauges?

Thanks.

Old 10-09-2004, 08:11 AM
I'm kinda confused by your question. The clusters in '95 with a tach, and without, are totally different. I don't understand how you plan to install the tach into your original cluster.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:43 AM
CXI
Well, that would be my question. I haven't taken anything apart yet so I didn't know if the white cluster, um, frame that the gauge pieces went into was the same.

Old 10-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Ohhhh, I see. I'm sorry, I thought you had taken it apart, which is why I was confused. The way the clusters are set up, the gauges snap into their electrical connectors, and since the layout is different between the one with a tach, and the one without, you can't add a gauge to one that it didn't originally have. The good news, though, is that you can find brushed aluminum plates on eBay that will cover the black area surrounding the gauges, and give it a fresh look.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster swap - new question