Pre-1997 Models

1991 F150 Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 F150 Starting Problem

My Ford has a very unique starting problem. It always seems to be difficult to start if it hasn't be running recently (1 hour), and it is even worse if it is cold (weather). I have tried to start it in three differnt ways.

1. Keep cranking it until it starts. This doesn't work.
2. Crank and pump gas. Seems to work ok.
3. Turn key, wait thirty seconds, crank and pump gas. I have to crank the least with this method.

Facts:

Fuel pressure is fine

Gas tank leaks some

I just replaced the modulator inside the distributor. This fixed a problem I had: the truck would sound like it was running out of gas, and die, although the fuel pressure was fine during this too. Oddly though after replacing this, the first time I started it up it strarted up right away. Then the starting got gradually worse until it returned to the condition it was in before this problem occured. (As stated above)

Other than this starting problem, once it runs for 5 minutes it runs great. Although sometimes it feels like the engine is running out of gas, but just for 1 pop, not for a sputter. But that could just be the rear end giving when it gets/looses power, as it is a 91 truck.

1991 F150 XLT Lariat L6, duel fuel tanks, Manual Transmission

If anybody has any idea what's going on I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you

Old 09-24-2004, 07:04 AM
I'd replace all plugs,all wires,cap and rotor,then see if it still does it.

My truck had a similar problem,driving along in any gear,any speed,and just started bucking brutally,much worse in the cold morning. I replaced the ignition module (mounted on distributor),you might of done that,I wasn't sure what you were talking about.

Old 09-26-2004, 11:00 PM
I replaced the ignition module (mounted on distributor),you might of done that,I wasn't sure what you were talking about.
Yeah, that's what I did.

Old 09-27-2004, 05:20 AM
First thing, don't "pump the gas" when trying to start it. Your truck is fuel injected, and pumping it will only make it harder to start because you'll be leaning out the mixture by allowing more air in. That's all the "gas pedal" does in your truck; control the amount of air that gets in. The fuel is controlled completely by the ECM.The only time you'll want to touch the gas pedal when starting it is if it somehow gets flooded. When the engine is trying to start, holding the gas pedal to the floor sends a signal to the ECM and it stops injecting fuel until the engine starts, or until you release the gas pedal.

You said the fuel pressure was fine. What is it? More importantly, how fast does it bleed down after you turn the key off?

Your problem sounds a lot like a bad EGR valve. I would remove it and inspect it. You may be able to just clean it, but it will probably need to be replaced.

I suspect that your IAC solenoid needs to be cleaned as well. It's mounted to your throttle body with two 8mm or 10mm bolts (can't remember which size for sure). Unplug the connector, and remove the two bolts, and pull it off. Take it apart, and clean it with Brakleen and a small brush.

Take care,
~Chris

Old 10-09-2004, 11:36 AM
I thank you much for your help, however my starter broke, and so did my flywheel. My Oil pna also finally rusted out. I simply don't have the money to fix this truck anymore. I am just going to have to sell it, and get a different vechile.

Thank you for all you advice.

Old 10-09-2004, 01:07 PM
What a pisser. Sorry to hear the news.

Quick Reply: 1991 F150 Starting Problem