Pre-1997 Models

Power Problems w/my 1986 F150

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power Problems w/my 1986 F150

I have a problem that is stumping me. I just rebuilt the 302 in my 1986 F150 truck, but when I went to start it nothing, I mean nothing will come on. Not even the headlights will work. I checked all of my electrical connections and even took the battery back out and had it checked. Everything seemed fine, but still no juice is getting anywhere. I do have some stereo equipment that is hot wired directly from the battery that is working, but I have nothing else. I have heard that this truck has some sort of main power relay which may be causing my problem, but I have no clue as to where that is. All of this stuff worked, and the truck was running when I pulled the motor. Please if someone has a wiring diagram or can help me out please do. Thanks!!!

Old 09-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where do you have the ground hooked up at? dont hook it up on anything that is aluminume because it wont get a good contact. also make sure to hook up the ground strap at the back of the motor on the pass side. it goes from the firewall to the back of the head on carbed or to the support that bolts to the upper intake and the manifold. do you have the alt hooked up to? i cant remember but i think on some fords if it wasnt at least plug in it wouldnt start either. it been awhile since ive worked on that yr but im sure its something simple. just something thats getting overlooked.

Quick Reply: Power Problems w/my 1986 F150