Pre-1997 Models

steering gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question steering gearbox

I have an 89 f150 300 I-6 with a claimed 500,000 miles (give or take)-The way it looks and runs, I believe it...The steering gearbox finally died, 360 degrees of play. Has any one replaced one before? Any tips, Comments? Thanks!

Old 09-09-2004, 10:31 AM
I have never heard of one that turns 360deg. Be sure it is not lose and dropping down causing the crash sleeve or the connection to come lose, its not likeley but worth a look. Also have someone turn the steering wheel and watch the gear box, you may see something. If you have to replace the box its not really a big deal, pretty straight foreward. Unplug the sensor, disconnect the two hydraulic hoses, losen the joint where the steering shaft slides up onto a splined shaft going into the top of the gearbox, the aggravating part is wiggling the gearbox lose from the steering shaft. Not to bad a job.

Old 09-12-2004, 01:17 PM
I just replaced mine on my 98 F150. The only problems I ran into were the excessive rust that kept me from getting the old pitman arm off, and having to go out and buy a pittman arm puller to separate the pitman arm from the center link. Good luck. I'm still having some issues with the new one I 'think'. When I'm putting her into a hard turn, it feels like the steering wheel is fighting me.

Quick Reply: steering gearbox