Pre-1997 Models

Intermittant Idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittant Idle

Ok well I have 1995 F-150 5.0. Yesterday I drove the vehicle to work and it drove just fine, as soon as I pulled into the parking lot the truck died. I did not think too much of it. When I came out from working out I started the truck it started just fine. Once the truck idled down it would die as if starved for gas. I thought that fuel pump was bad, but I have dual tanks and it did the same thing on both tanks. So I drove to work, the truck would buck once in 5th and light gas pedal, kind of like fuel was not constantly flowing. Occationally I would depress the clutch and the vehicle would not idle down very fast. So I thought EGR valve is bad.

Truck has 83K, so I bought a new EGR valve and thought that fixed the problem. I started the truck and drove it around the block and seemed fine. Well on the way to work this morning I had the same problem. Seemed to be fine, suddenly at a stop light the truck would not idle and then just died. I can drive the truck as long as I keep a little gas when I stop. The truck does not throw a code until it almost dies and then finally dies, but when I restart the truck (not turning off the truck) the check engine light goes out. Driving in 5th the truck still bucks and spits. Does not die, just seems like the gas is not flowing consistantly.

I have done a search on this site and sounds like the IAC is either bad or dirty. I don't know, I am at a loss. I don't really want to take to mechanic since I can work on things myself, but I don't know what is wrong, and I don't have a manual, my father does but he lives about 3 hours away. I can get access to it and he is looking in it for anything that may help. But I am looking for any help I can get. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2004, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem once, ended up being the throttle body, had to take it off and clean it real good. Worked fine after that. It apparently is common enough that ford dealerships have a motorcraft brand cleaner they use just for cleaning the throttle bodies. All parts stores carry a brand, just be sure it says it is senor compatible.

Quick Reply: Intermittant Idle