Pre-1997 Models

Squeel when turning

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not getting enough power? Squeel?

Hey All,

My 93 F150 has been acting up like crazy lately. First problem turned out to be the throttle position sensor, got that fixed and things went well...for a day. The next day I found myself stranded in a parking lot with a busted post on my battery. It couldn't maintain a solid connection so I got that replaced and it started up perfect.

Driving it today, i'm not sure if it's getting the proper power still. I can watch the battery gauge jump up a down when i'm at idle and whenever i let off of the gas. It's very visible when I slow down to turn because the turn signal actually slows down because of the power drop. Could this be an altenator problem?

I also have a squeel whenever I turn but only when giving it gas. This morning it started even without turning but coming off of a light or stop sign. Any ideas?

I'm the first to admit that i'm no mechanic, but I'm trying to learn. Can anyone help me out with where I should start on either of these problems?

Let me know,
93candycane a.k.a. Big Mike

Last edited by 93candycane; 07-26-2004 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:22 AM
I should also mention that the squeal is similar to the one I had when the AC went. I disconnected the wiring to the compressor and it hadn't made the noise in the past 6 months since. When I had the truck in recently, I had the serpentine belt changed as well. Is there any chance that the battery problem and the squeal are somehow related? Any help that anyone might be able to provide would be great. Thanks.

Big Mike w/ the 93candycane

Old 07-27-2004, 08:48 AM
Alternator could be going bad, I have been through quite a few of them on my truck, they can easily make a squeal or a roaring bearing noise. If the squeal is when you turn check the power steering fluid.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:03 AM
I've got it in at an alternator shop right now so we'll see what they come back with, haven't heard from them yet. Power steering fluid was fine, I was hoping it would be that easy. It's anytime i'm in first gear now and the battery drop and rise is very pronounced. Hopefully a fix at the alternator shop will clear things up...for now...it never rains but when it pours.

Quick Reply: Squeel when turning