Pre-1997 Models

Left Power Window is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left Power Window is Dead

I was rolling down my power left window today in my 1990 F-150. All of the sudden it just stopped about a quarter of the way down. The passenger side window works just fine so it isn't the fuse. And I don't believe it could be the motor because when motors run out, they tend to decrease in speed to a dead stop. Mine didn't do that, it just stopped at full speed. SO... I was wondering if anyone knew if it could be the switch in the panel or if it could be something else. Thanks

Old 07-18-2004, 01:49 AM
Stopped at full speed...like motor froze up? Can you hear motor running or making noises by pushing switch? If not, then....

Have you tried bypassing switch w/jumper wire? If lift motor runs OK, then probably bad switch. If it dosent, then Id suspect a bad motor. Also very remote chance the wid. lift arms are binding? JMO!

Good luck on fix. OT

Old 07-20-2004, 12:28 PM
Smile

Try turning the key to acc or on without the truck running then turn on the dome light and press the window up & down button if the dome light dims slightly then the motor is seized or linkage is jammed. If the light does not dim at all then the switch or wiring is bad. If you try and bypass the switch be aware the switch itself will hold the wiring at ground level so if you apply +12 V you will get a nice fireworks show (don't ask how I found this out).

Old 09-20-2004, 06:35 PM
My drivers side window quit working also. It had been a little noisy going up and down for a little while. I rolled it down one evening and parked in the garage with the windows down. Next time I drove the truck, that one window wouldn't move. Wouldn't you figure it was raining! One wet trip home and I haven't gotten it fixed yet...

I pulled the door panel off. The window motor gets blazing hot so is my motor locked up? With having to drill out the old rivets and put in new rivets for the window regulator, I'm skeptical about replacing the motor myself.
-Michael

Old 10-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by fireman467
My drivers side window quit working also. It had been a little noisy going up and down for a little while. I rolled it down one evening and parked in the garage with the windows down. Next time I drove the truck, that one window wouldn't move. Wouldn't you figure it was raining! One wet trip home and I haven't gotten it fixed yet...

I pulled the door panel off. The window motor gets blazing hot so is my motor locked up? With having to drill out the old rivets and put in new rivets for the window regulator, I'm skeptical about replacing the motor myself.
-Michael
Michael, what year truck? I've had both PW motors out of my '90 - 'twasn't difficult at all.

Wade

Old 10-14-2004, 01:42 AM
When I had the same problem in my 90 f150, it turned out to be a nylon gear that had stripped out. I don't know if your situation is the same as mine was, but that's what the culprit was for me.

Quick Reply: Left Power Window is Dead