Pre-1997 Models

The superlift 6" lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The superlift 6" lift

I haven't had time to write about it. It was pretty difficult to do. Me and my brother did the install. We put on the 6" lift up front with new radius arms and 4" blocks for the rear. I added 17x9 pro-comp rims with 35" BFG's. The tires rub the new radius arms, which I thought would give me more clearance. I haven't had time to try to adjust the stop bolts, seems like they won't move anyway, but i'll try sometime soon. The radius arms were a little big fitting over the axles, so I put some very large washers in between. Getting it aligned was a problem, I had to take it to someone that knew how to do the lifted trucks, mine required a special bushing ($30) ($90 total for the alignment). It drives excellent. One major problem though, it seems the pass. side axle drop bracket is coming loose. It makes a cluncking noise when I turn the wheel (shifting weight balance), the bracket swings side to side and I had my brother put a 3" arc weld bead along the front side and welded the two smaller bolts in place, but the weld broke and it's doing it again (within a day of street driving). I guess i'll have to clean it up and put some major welds in as many places as I can. The instructions said that certain older years might have to be welded, but I think that all years should be completely welded. I guess we'll have to turn the amps up on the arc welder or something. Other than that, I had to trim the bottom molding on the bumper for tire clearance. I also put on a dual steering stabilizer and s.s. brake lines. The brake lines were a bit**, I didn't replace the rear yet, because it was being difficult and the one that came with my kit was only a half inch longer. I haven't lengthened my vent tubes yet, but will. I haven't lengthened my driveshafts, I don't see a reason to yet. i tried to do as much research as I could before I bought it. I went to a sight, I think it's called truckworld.com and looked through hundreds of lifted Fords only to find out that 90% of the moderately (4" - 6") lifted trucks were using Superlift, so that's what I got. I just finished putting my before/after pics in the gallery. I'll see if I can post it here: https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=4146

Last edited by Mike12pt; 05-18-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Oh yea, I wish I would have known about needing a 28MM open/boxed wrench, before I started. I managed to find a short 28mm 1/2 drive socket and could have used a deep well 28mm, but I improvised and prevailed. A long 1/2 extension was needed as well. Long pipes for leverage, torches and a couple of buddies. A couple of big jacks and big jack stands barely did the trick.

Old 05-18-2004, 06:55 PM
I never needed to weld my brackets on, but i did have a couple bolts come loose after a couple thousand miles. I put a whole bunch of red loctite on them and cranked them down and never had another problem.

-Jon

Quick Reply: The superlift 6" lift