Pre-1997 Models

New here, need lift kit info

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here, need lift kit info

I'm looking to buy a 6" kit in a couple days and have been researching this for some time with not much success. I have a 95 F150 that i'm putting my old (3000 miles) tires on it (35"). I'm new to this truck mod. thing, so I don't know what to get. I like many of you do not like to buy things twice, but don't really want to spend top dollar either. I called the 4wheel parts place and they said how about the genuwine kit which is made up of parts from different kits ($800). I want the new rear leafs (instead of blocks) and what about new radius arms? Are they neccessary for a better ride? Or are the drop brackets good enough? I just do alot of hunting and mild off-roading. I'd like to spend around $800. The pro-comp. kit is $1000, and it includes the rear leafs, radius arms, and shocks. I will get s.s. brake lines ($100) and a steering stabilizer ($30). Anything else you guys can think of? This is my first time doing a lift and i'd like to get it done during the weekend, so I don't want any unexpected surprises(have to drive to work on Monday). Thanks!
BTW, I will be putting those 35"'s on 17x9 rims.

I just read in the 4 wheels parts place is having a pretty good sale on the pro-comp kits. What do you think?

Old 03-25-2004, 10:32 AM
People around here tend to buy skyjacker or pro comp, I have heard good things about both. I thought rancho would be good but I have gone throught two pairs of their rs5000 shocks in three years so I am hesitant to suggest them. I would go with the new radius arms for anything over 4" and you may want to nvestigate the possibility of a "soft ride" lift kit, you get the lift and you get a better ride than a regular kit which is gonna make your truck drive like a dump truck. I think you can get away without lengthening you driveshafts up to 4", not sure about 6", you may want to check to be sure. Let us know what you go with and how you like it.

Old 03-25-2004, 03:58 PM
TF
I would definitely recommend the extended radius arms for 4" or 6" lifts. They give you a better turning radius, keep your alignments better so that you won't need them as often and they will be cheaper do get done when you do get them, they are stronger than the stock radius arms, allow for wider tires than the stock radius arms, and they usually look pretty cool. I have a 4" lift but I did not add my extended radius arms until about 2 months after I got my truck lifted and it as a huge difference!

Regarding the rear lift: Do you haul often? If so, I recommend an add-a-leaf, but they usually only come with 4" kits. Add-a-leafs, which is what I have to lift my rear suspension, actually increases your payload capacity since you retain your stock leafs in the rear, and are adding a sturdy, thick leaf spring below those. I was able to haul a total of 2700 pounds to the dump one day in my truck with my lift...not too shabby. The rear leaf pack replacements tend to sag more easily than the add-a-leafs and are not really recommended if you haul often. The blocks will get the job done and are fine you really need to save a buck or are just after the look, but don't perform as well as the other 2 methods.

As far as the brand of lift kit, I have heard nothing but good things about the Skyjacker kits. Superlift is also a very reputable company. I have heard some not so great things about Rancho kits for the Ford trucks. I have a Tuff Country kit, it's cheaper than most for comparable kits, but I am so far very happy with it. It is holding up quite nicely.

So why do you want to go with a 6" lift? It is much harder on your TTB Dana 44 than a 4" lift and you will need to make accomodations for your brake lines and driveshaft. It is also more expensive. If you just do hunting and mild off-roading, I would recommend a 4" lift for the above reasons, especially since you said price was kind of an object. With my 4" lift, I have not had to touch my brake lines or my drive shaft. Just note that your u-joints are prone to wear sooner so just keep an eye out for it.

For a while, I regretted not going with a 6" lift, but since my truck is my daily driver, and because the front end was not engineered to accomodate even small lifts much less a 6" lift, I am now happy with my decision. With a set of low gears, a decent l/s or locker, and good tires, you will be amazed at what you can do with just a 4" lift.

Just my .02.

Last edited by TF; 03-25-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Your truck looks tough TF, thanks for the reply. This is what i'm talking about, finally running into someone that has done it. All I wanted to do is make my truck look tough and help out during the hunting seasons (either it be a foot of snow on the trail or some mud pit on the trail) I don't do anything that makes my gear go flying around. My whole intent was to get the 34.36 diameter tires on there. I wanted a 4" kit, but everyone said you'll smash the fenders when you go over some huge jump. I said I will never go over that....not fast anyway. I had the same tires on my old 01 Dodge off-road and it DID NOT have any lift (everyone else said it needed a 3" lift). It did rub a little when you turned all the way, so I did'nt turn it all the way. Pretty simple. My truck will be a daily driver and I just wanted it to keep up with the factory trucks. Nowadays factory trucks are pretty big. The only thing I will be towing with my supercharged 351 truck is my supercharged 302 stang. Other than that just hunting gear and dead deer.

Does your tires rub anywhere? I plan on buying the pro-comp 1879 17x9 rims with the 4 1/2 backspace.
One of the guys at 4 wheels parts place told me the 4" and 6" kits are the same price. The pro-comp kit looks pretty nice with the deal they got going on, but I have been getting more votes towards superlift or skyjacker. So I geuss the kit that just adds a leaf in the rear is good enough, I have a helper spring in back right now, should I take it off? I will definately get the new rad. arms.

Now where can I get a good price on a complete kit? Everytime I call they list those kits pretty cheap, but they don't come with shocks, arms, or whatever else. We'll see I geuss, tommorrow should be the day I get the income tax back and it's going to be burning a hole in the wallet. Monday it goes in for a custom off-road y-pipe and maybe a dual muffler (gotto keep it quite in the woods). Thanks alot! I will post some pics soon.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:58 PM
TF
I believe Pro-Comp lift kits are the standard brand for 4 Wheel Wholesale Parts. This is why they are relatively inexpensive at 4 Wheel Parts and why most likely the employees will either recommend this brand for value or Skyjacker for being the overall best lift kit for Fords. I personally do not know anyone who has a Pro-Comp lift, so I can't say one way or another how well they hold up. Saying the 4" costs the same as the 6" is a bit of an exaggeration, although in reality the kits are probably within about $200 of each other for parts. But since most people end up spending about $1500 on just parts and labor for a lift (not including tires or rims), $200 isn't very significant.

If you are hell bent on putting the 34.5" diameter tires on your truck, then I would recommend the 6" lift. I have Dunlop 35's on my truck, but the actual diameter is just a hair under 34" and I wouldn't want anything taller on my truck. The tires only rub when I crank the wheel all the way, but I have no trouble with u-turns or parking. Rubbing is usually a width issue on the radius arms, rather than tire height on the fenders as long as you are sensible about the diameter. This is why having extended radius arms is all the more important-- I believe the width of the tire is just as important as the diameter of the tire for both looks and performance.

As far as getting a good deal...are you installing the lift or are you having it proffessionally done? If you are installing it, then most mail order kits are going to be wholesale prices and should be good deals (like 4 Wheel Parts Mail Order). If you are having it done, make sure you go to a reputable shop and look out for sales and specials.

Since you seem to want to go with a 6" lift, I don't remember seeing the add-a-leaf available for that height. I believe you will have a choice of blocks, or the leaf pack which is considerably more expensive. The leaf pack would be the better option due to structural integrity if your budget can afford it. Most 6" kits come with extended brake lines but you'll have to get a shim for the driveshaft angle.

Last edited by TF; 03-25-2004 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Well, i'm not hell bent, but I do have them laying around. I guess i'm back to the 6" lift. It can't look that much higher than a 4". I'm sick of this, i'm just going to get the pro-comp. 6" class II kit. The only thing it does'nt have is the new rear leafs. I might change the rear leafs later. I will ask them how much for the same stuff, but skyjacker and superlift, (he said the pro-comp has a better street ride, but like you said he probably biased). Cost is becoming a factor though, after I spend $350 on a custom y-pipe and new muffler, and another $600-700 on rims. Who knows? I guess i'll find out when I call them tommorrow.

To answer your q. I am definately going to put it on myself. With the help of some friends, one of which has done it a few times. The only way to get it done right is to do it myself. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: New here, need lift kit info