Pre-1997 Models

Airbag Code 21 Safing Sensor - Where is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Airbag Code 21 Safing Sensor - Where is it?

I have a 95 Bronco full size that is giving me an airbag code of 21 which by looking it up is an improperly mounted safing sensor. Does anybody know where this is located to check it out? The code is not constant, only intermitent at start up. Once it comes on, it continues flashing the code. But the next time you start it, it may not flash the code. So I'm hoping that there's an intermitant ground problem with where the safing sensor is located, but I can't seem to find it. I've searched in the archives and have found no help yet. Anyone?? Thanks! I don't think that it's a clock spring issue as the horn works and I have tested the continuity at both ends of the clock spring leads.

Old 10-07-2003, 06:59 PM
I think the safeing sensor is that spring loaded or magnatized ball that lets go when the G forces are just right/impact, which is what completes the circuit to shoot the airbag. Sorry, not sure where it is either.

Old 10-07-2003, 09:08 PM
On the 96 the safing sensor is located on the RH frame rail near the back of the cab. The manual isn't real clear on its position and I'm too lazy to crawlunder and look. It's a round 8 pin connector with 5 wires coming out of it: purple/white, grey/orange, dark blue/white, purple/orange and white/orange. wire colors may be different on your year of truck.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:30 AM
Thanks Ranger, I'll check it out and post what I find.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:11 AM
Hey guys. 1994 F-150 here with a code 3-2, which according to a post means "Driver Side Air Bag - Safing Sensor Circuit High Resistance or Open". I'm a little confused: this does not mean the fuse box, but rather another separate circuit? My owner's guide nor my Thomas guide won't give me any schematics of insight on this situation. Worse yet, googling around it sounds like a "safing sensor" is a made-up word.

Honestly, I'm confused as to how this has happened: no impacts, etc... just showed up one day.

Can I fix it, or is it best left to the dealer?

Old 03-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by coronet
Hey guys. 1994 F-150 here with a code 3-2, which according to a post means "Driver Side Air Bag - Safing Sensor Circuit High Resistance or Open". I'm a little confused: this does not mean the fuse box, but rather another separate circuit? My owner's guide nor my Thomas guide won't give me any schematics of insight on this situation. Worse yet, googling around it sounds like a "safing sensor" is a made-up word.

Honestly, I'm confused as to how this has happened: no impacts, etc... just showed up one day.

Can I fix it, or is it best left to the dealer?
The Safing Sensor prevents the air bags from going off on a side impact.

Also a 32 has nothing to do with the Safing Sensor.
A 32 most of the time means you have a bad clockspring (AKA bag sliding contact).
Most just fix it but that would depend on your abilty and the tools you have.

From the manual:

DTC 32: DRIVER SIDE AIR BAG CIRCUIT HIGH RESISTANCE OR OPEN

Normal Operation

NOTE:
The connectors for the air bag diagnostic monitor and the air bag sliding contact have metal spring clips that act as shorting bars. These shorting bars are built into the plastic hardshell connectors. The shorting bars are designed to short Circuits 614 and 615 together when the connectors are not mated. Do not attempt to remove the air bag shorting bar and measure the resistance of the driver side air bag module.

The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the resistance across Pin 10 (Circuit 615, GY/W) and Pin 11 (Circuit 614, GY/O) every time the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position. Normal resistance across these circuits is between 1.5 and 2.0 ohms. This resistance comes from the driver side air bag module (approximately 1.0 ohms) and windings of the air bag sliding contact (approximately 0.25 to 0.5 ohms per winding, two windings in all). If the resistance across these two circuits exceeds 4.0 ohms, this indicates a high resistance and the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash Code 32.

The shorting bar of the air bag sliding contact may be removed to measure the resistance of the air bag sliding contact. Use extreme care when reinstalling the shorting bar to make sure it is installed correctly.

Possible Causes

Excessive resistance across Pins 10 and 11 can be cause by:

1. A poor connection where the air bag sliding contact connects into the main wiring (14401). The air bag sliding contact connector at the base of the steering column may have excessive resistance between the male and female terminals in the connector.

2. An open circuit or high resistance in the windings inside the air bag sliding contact.

3. An open circuit or high resistance in the wiring harness in either Circuit 614 (GY/O) or Circuit 615 (GY/W).

4. An open circuit or high resistance in the driver side air bag module. DO NOT attempt a direct resistance measurement of the driver side air bag module. Follow the diagnostic procedures to determine if the resistance in the driver side air bag module is higher than normal.

Diagram:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...s/199432AB.jpg

/

Last edited by subford; 03-27-2009 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Airbag Code 21 Safing Sensor - Where is it?