Am I crazy? 4X4 Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good I will have my mechanic look at it tonight, he is picking it up, nothing like 24/7 Mechanics at $25 per hour..beats doing it myself..I will let everyone know what it is for sure..

Old 12-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Well my mechanic got a hold of it, then figured out the problem so he said and it turned out to be some kind of piston in the transfer case, then he said he had good and bad news, he said it now goes into 4 wheel drive but the front axles do not turn, so he wanted to take it back to my dealer since I still have limited power train warranty ion it for like 200 more miles and THE DEALER replaced the front axles because of bad boots.
He figures them good somehow. My dealer has not been very helpful with this 4 wheel thing since they like to quote “Limited Power train” and since the transfer case is not listed they would not cover it, well that’s when Henry my Mechanic came in and fixed that part of it, like he says I did my part, now they have to do theirs.
So what was cool is he did this Christmas Eve even and I told him just to keep her because the Dealer said they could check it out Friday, well Today is Friday and so far I have not heard anything yet. Hopefully no news is good news...
I just wonder what is bad in the Front end. IWE’s? Differential? he says the vacuum is working fine and that lever switches over on the front differential.
Stay Tuned, comments are welcome and so is speculation.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:14 PM
I am hoping it is the fork

[QUOTE=Bindernut;3501134]Most likely culprit. Check the vacuum operated front axle disconnect.
Sounds to me like it is either binding up on mud or rust, has a worn fork inside the front diff, or isn't getting a

Well my mechanic got a hold of it, then figured out the problem so he said and it turned out to be some kind of piston in the transfer case, then he said he had good and bad news, he said it now goes into 4 wheel drive but the front axles do not turn, so he wanted to take it back to my dealer since I still have limited power train warranty ion it for like 200 more miles and THE DEALER replaced the front axles because of bad boots.
He figures them good somehow. My dealer has not been very helpful with this 4 wheel thing since they like to quote “Limited Power train” and since the transfer case is not listed they would not cover it, well that’s when Henry my Mechanic came in and fixed that part of it, like he says I did my part, now they have to do theirs.
So what was cool is he did this Christmas Eve even and I told him just to keep her because the Dealer said they could check it out Friday, well Today is Friday and so far I have not heard anything yet. Hopefully no news is good news...

Hopefully it is the Fork that is worn cause the Front Dif is covered under my warranty

Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Well I got it back to find out that the Front Axle Vaccum motor was bad? I think this mechanic was pulling my leg according to my freinds..just to get me to pay him $230 for nothing cause he could not fix it..

Old 01-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I just got my 4 wheel driver repaired at a dealer, I had this fly by night mechanic try to fix it, he ended up taking it to my dealer since they at first scared me telling me it was not covered by my limited power train warranty at first, but because he could not fix it, he acted like he did and replaced some piston type part in the transfer case, wanted me to pay him $230 for doing that but it still did not work so he took it to ford to argue out with them he said that something was broken in the front axle and they should fix it..I think this guy is pulling my leg as he kept lying and lying and basically I figured he could not fix it and took it to them, they replaced a vacuum actuator in the front axle and then mentioned the front axle shield was missing, so now I am trying to figure out if the guy took it off and never gave it to them to put back on or what it is and how hard it is to get or put on?, can someone explain what’s up with the shield for me..

Old 01-02-2009, 12:32 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
That shield just doesn't fall off. It is held on with 3 bolts and a mild PITA to remove and reinstall. You have to remove it to access the vacuum motor on the front axle. Someone took it off and didn't replace it.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks JMC, how easy is it to put on? do you need to jack it up? I will have to get one from a junk yard I guess..at least I have 4 wheel drive ..drive..drive..

Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Oh!! is that shield plastic or metal?, you know of a place I can order it online? new or used? like a good online auto salvage place?

Old 01-02-2009, 04:23 PM
JMC

It is made of plastic. When you buy a complete front axle it usually comes with it. Call a local yard and see if they have one. Go back to your mechanic and tell him to give you back the shield, with the 3 bolts that holds it on. Have a look here; http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/PDFs/inst_750.pdf Figures 3, 8 and 9 show clear pictures of what the shield looks like. FYI I have that system on my truck.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Is that a modification that gets rid of the Vacuum operation and makes it cable activated?

Old 01-03-2009, 11:37 AM
JMC

Originally Posted by michaelwalker
Is that a modification that gets rid of the Vacuum operation and makes it cable activated?
Yes. No more worries about vacuum lines breaking or leaking.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 11-21-2014, 09:21 PM
I OWN a 1999 F-150 4x4. when I use the 4x4 - for some reason, it would stay on, it has electronic turn button with light on dash, & light was intermitent. I took to dealer /garage where I bought truck, he is also a mechanic , he could not find any problem, Said drove it 5x,
after taking to him 3x. Twice it had to be CAA towed in to city. Well I was fed up .

I took it to Ford dealership, they diagnosed the problem. The transfer shift motor is gone & needs to be replaced.
In this case it pays to go to the experts.

I forgot to ask the mechanic / MY BIG QUESTION - IS the TRANSFER SHIFT MOTOR PART OF THE POWER TRAIN ?

Thanx
Iron woman

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? 4X4 Problem?