Pinion Depth

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinion Depth

How significantly does the pinion depth change if a solid pinion spacer is used instead of a crush sleeve?

I haven't pulled the pinion off yet to see what's back there, but I figure I'd ask before I take either path.

This is going into an 8.8" open differential . . . if that helps you guys help me make a decision

Old 08-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

why would you do that? crush sleeves are cheap.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 AM
alvinsb;
the crush sleeve only keeps the bearings preloaded, which is behind the driveshaft flange. the pinion depth wont be effected.
on the 8.8, on the bearing closest to the pinion gear head, there is a spacer there between the pinon head and bearing, which decides pinon depth.
the thing with the solid spacer, just measure its crushed height when you pull the pinion out, and write it down somewhere. this will be close to the solid spacer height that you will use to keep the correct bearing preload.
Hope this makes it clear as mud.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by 2002 wonderboy
alvinsb;
the crush sleeve only keeps the bearings preloaded, which is behind the driveshaft flange. the pinion depth wont be effected.
on the 8.8, on the bearing closest to the pinion gear head, there is a spacer there between the pinon head and bearing, which decides pinon depth.
the thing with the solid spacer, just measure its crushed height when you pull the pinion out, and write it down somewhere. this will be close to the solid spacer height that you will use to keep the correct bearing preload.
Hope this makes it clear as mud.
Makes sense. Thanks for the info. I've read the numerous posts on how 'easy' it is to get the sleeve crushed, and one retailer with the parts I need only offers a solid spacer.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

You don't have a ford dealer anywhere close to ya? That's where I got mine.
Hell I could pick one up for ya and ship it to ya. Unless you have some wierd set up or something.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what?! your parts retailer dont have a line on them? i have a box with 2 in it still somewhere around here. u want me to get a napa part # for ya?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Went to Summits today. I'm good

Quick Reply: Pinion Depth