Shuddering...turn from stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shuddering...turn from stop

I have a 2000 Lariat with 103K miles. I have had the vehicle since 2001, bought with 32K miles. Don't drive it hard-just alot. Shuddering in rear end, all agree probably the LS Plates. What is cost to repair at dealer? Can another facility do this repair, or does it take special equipment? Is this a do-it-yourself repair?

Thanks for help in advance.

DaWG

Old 01-15-2004, 05:56 PM
My 1997 with 79000 miles has been doing this now for about a year. I changed Diff. oil and added friction modifier, and it still doesnt show any improvement.

I stopped off at Ford today and bought me another bottle of friction modifier to see if that might help and asked the service guy's about this and they said that it would run close to $1000.00 to have it fixed with new clutches. Screw that !!! I'll drive the truck that way until the rear fall's off before paying that, and ythen i'll go to the junk yard and get me another one.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:40 AM
I am hoping that someone out there will advise it is something that can be done at home. I am a little concerned that there may be some aligning involved that may require specialized equipment.

A $1000 is a lot of money. I had no idea it would cost that much. Is it going to get to the point where the truck will not function or did they say anything about that???

DaWG

Old 01-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First try a $3 bottle of friction modifier from the local auto parts store. THEN if that doesn't cure it in a week of driving, have the clutches replaced at a reputable driveline shot. Shouldn't be more than $300 for the clutch install. Sounds like they quoted you the price for a whole diff install, including re-setting the backlash. Lots of labor involved there.

-Joe

Old 01-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Joe, Thank you for the reply. So any reputable shop should be able to do this. I will try the friction modifier first. Thanks again

DaWG

Quick Reply: Shuddering...turn from stop