Swapping Factory Head Units - Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Swapping Factory Head Units - Maybe

I have had my SCrew in the shop for almost a week now. My dealer gave me a 2002 Explorer as a loaner while they kept my truck hostage. Anyway, I noticed this Explorer has an AM/FM six-disc in-dash CD changer. It appears that it is the same size as the factory head unit in my SCrew. Does anyone know if the Explorer head unit will fit in the SCrew?? If so, will I need any fancy wiring done or will will plug in the same as another?? Or on the other hand, does anyone know of an aftermarket in-dash changer that will fit in the same spot??

------------------
2001 Supercrew Loaded
Oxford White
Lightning Front End and Wheels
Supercharger to come!!

Old 06-19-2001, 01:25 PM
LightningCrew;
Try Radios and More @ http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_de...1L2F-18C815-BD

As I recall the 6 disc in dash changer will fit with a little mod (dremel tool) to a support piece in the SuperCrew. Best of luck ....

------------------

2001 F-150 Super Crew Lariat 4x4; 5.4 engine; Chestnut w/ gold trim; Captain's Chairs; Ford/ Duraliner bed insert; Access Roll-up bed cover; Six disc CD changer in '98/'99 Expedition center console; Fosgate FNP1614 component speakers (front); Pioneer TS-A6855 speakers (rear); 8 inch MTX subwoofer in custom built, center console, sealed enclosure; Zapco AG150 amplifier; DRL daytime running lights with Fog Lights (Mod)available at all times;Bel 980 Radar detector; Moon roof; Bed extender; Class 3 trailer hitch; Factory splash guards (front & rear).

Old 06-19-2001, 08:44 PM
Thumbs up

LightningCrew;Try these threads:
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000155.html
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000121.html

Here are some excerpts ....
"Tim A
posted 11-11-1999 10:49 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The radio you are referring to is known as CD6 and is designed and built by Visteon (where I work)... this radio is awesome. It has a slot that you can load 6 CDs into the head unit one at a time. They can be loaded and ejected in any order too. There is one problem, the radio is too big to fit in the dash of a F150 without making some modifications inside the dash. It can be done, but you have to cut some brackets out of the way.
The CD6 radio has the same wiring as any 99 radio or a 97/98 non-premium radio. If you order a CD6 radio, make sure you get the premium version and not the audiophile version. The audiophile version is wired for a Ford subwoofer, which is not on the F150."

and ...
"I have never tried putting the CD6 radio in an F150. I know somebody who installed a Ford dual media radio (tape and CD) which is the same size as the 6 CD radio. He said he used a Dremel to notch out material in the brackets so the radio will fit. The radio in your truck is wedge shaped so it fits in the bracket in the dash. The CD6 radio is a full box so it hits the brackets inside the dash. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting it in there. The connectors are the same, so it will hook right up!"

And ....

Johnnyquest
posted 12-08-1999 09:25 PM
"I just finished installing my CD-6 that arrived Fed-ex today. Took a little plastic carving with a Dremel since the double DIN box goes all the way to the back, but the 80 watts RMS is well worth it. I really like the fact that the 6-CD changer is all in one unit in the dash, no wires to snake or radio remotes or FM ch88 station interfaces to cloud the sound. The unit also has a cell phone interface that I wasn't aware of when I ordered it, and 2-4V pre-amp outputs that I'll be looking to use for a subwoofer (anybody got some clues to offer on the best setup for subwoofers/crossovers?) I can't wait until my TS-6813s arrive to hear the full effect. "

Hope this helps ... It really looks like a good way to go ...

Old 06-20-2001, 09:01 AM
Wink

Thanks guys - didn't realize that it was going to cost so much. Guess I will go with an aftermarket or put this one on my long-term wish list.

I noticed the comment about not getting the audiophile version because it is made to hook up to a Ford sub - wonder if I SHOULD get this one if I am planning on adding a sub (non-Ford) - or does the premium version also have preamp outputs.

------------------
2001 Supercrew Loaded
Oxford White
Lightning Front End and Wheels
Supercharger to come!!

Old 06-22-2001, 01:32 PM
Lightning:
If I'm not mistaken, http://www.radiosandmore.com has some sort of trade in policy for late model OEM equipment. You may want to give them a call and check. I've used them before: very reliable/ knowledgable. Just my $.02.

Old 06-23-2001, 12:10 AM
Question

Does any one know about a pioneer cd-6 headunit? It looks almost identical to the picture shown above. I was wondering if this would fit in the dash the same way as the Visteon. What is the difference between the premium and audiophile CD6? Will either work to replace the factory unit. any comments would be helpful.

[This message has been edited by silverf150 (edited 06-22-2001).]

Quick Reply: Swapping Factory Head Units - Maybe