I have a dream... well, and idea.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb I have a dream... well, and idea.

Thinking about adding a bedcap and carpet kit to the F-150. Installing a head unit/dvd player with a display screen in the bed, speakers front and rear (surround setup). Run it off a second battery under the truck in a waterproof container. To keep the battery charged use a solar panel system that I saw on TRUCKS! program on TV. Has a regulator to avoid overcharge.

Thought for camping would be a killer idea. Any thoughts, suggestions, improvements on the idea or on the setup.

------------------
1999 F-150 4x4ORP,
FQR 5.4L at 38k
3.73LSD Toreador Red, Superchip,
Smitty built step side,
Sony ES CDX-M770
4x Pioneer TS-A6895

Old 06-13-2001, 06:19 PM
First off a solar panel wouldn't work at night.

Second I always wanted to do that.

Third, I'd go with better altenator before a solar panel.

Go w/ a bedrug, and small couch.

Old 06-13-2001, 06:39 PM
I'm assuming the solar panel would fully charge the battery during the day unless you park in the shade or garage during the day.

There would be an obvious runtime limit; but, how long can you run a DVD head unit with no additional amplifier, other than the built in one, and a display screen off a fully charged deep cycle battery? Would it be long enough for a movie or two? I guess I could install a battery meter to get the battery status.

Futon or pull out bed...?

Old 06-13-2001, 09:33 PM
Futon

Not sure how long a deep cycle battery would last without any amps. Most people use them when running multiple amps and they last a little while with alot of bass. My guess would be they would last at least one movie. I don't know though.

Old 06-13-2001, 11:44 PM
Wink

(Puts on best Grouchy Old Man voice)

"What part of CAMPING involves watching TV--D@MN KIDS! Stay home and watch the Matrix"

But seriously, you could probably get 8 or 12 hours of run time, depending on the drain your aduio amp pulls off the batery. Audio amp will be a bigger draw than dvd or other source units...

------------------
My credentials? Yeah, they're right over there....

framed and hanging on the shade tree.

Old 06-14-2001, 12:59 AM
Hey -- BelayOn -- wish I was still a young kid. Thanks for the info. It was just an idea that came to me. I don't think I would ever spend the money to set it up.

I went camping over memorial day weekend. A guy brought a portable DVD player and played one movie a night. I was raised old-school camping. Through on a pack, hike for hours and hours,... sleep on a foam pad that's too thin. Repeat for 8 days.

Since this guy brought this player and we all crammed into a tent... just started me thinkin'.

------------------
1999 F-150 4x4ORP,
FQR 5.4L at 38k
3.73LSD Toreador Red, Superchip,
Smitty built step side,
Sony ES CDX-M770
4x Pioneer TS-A6895

Quick Reply: I have a dream... well, and idea.