Lincoln Blackwood & Mark LT

Tonneau Cover Quit Working

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may of ended up with a part that was packed wrong from the manufac. that happens alot in my business.[autobody] but with the shape of the part you describe i would bet some ordered a new one ,got it used it, and put the old one back in the box and returned it. sort of a scam. i had a box come from the local ford dealer the other day that had two different brand new mitubishi parts in the wrapper in it. Most dealers are a litlle forgiving in returns from shops that spend thousands of dollars amonth with them. i,e, they will take back electrical parts from them. raise a big stink and i think they should take care of it for you.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Well, I called up the dealer that sold me the part as well as a local dealer. They both told me the same thing. What they said is the part number on the part itself is actually the engineering part number that Ford Motor Company uses internally and the part number you use to order the part for service parts is slightly different. They said the part number on the part that originally came on the truck probably has a AD at the end of the part number while the most current parts have the AE. So I guess I take the box apart and install it this weekend. Only thing is the temps are down to about 10 degrees or so here and I don't have a heated garage. This is going to be some cooool work.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:25 PM
I hope it works for you. My module had the exact part number on the part as the box.I replace air bag senors and modules from Ford every week and everyone has the exact part number on the part as the box. That is the only way you know you have the correct part.....also when you are poulling back the stainlees panel on the front, be careful of the edges they are razor sharp. I learned that the hard way even after i was warned. wear gloves. it will slice through you fingers. Good luck.

Old 12-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Well, I'm almost through the entire procedure to replace my tonneau module and I'm a little stuck. I removed the RH stainless steel panel. I removed the 2 of the 5 screws holding the bottom of the front stainless steel panel. But to remove the other 3 screws you need to take off the plastic trim piece that goes near the bottom of the steel panel. It does not mention this in the repair procedure.

For you guys that have replaced this module yourself, or for the dealer techs out there how do I proceed from here. Do I take the rest off the bolts off holding on the bottom of the front panel? At that point can I bend the panel back far enough to reach my hand under there to remove the 2nd screw holding on the module itself? Or do I also have to take all the screws off holding the fron stainless steel panel at the top? Can I replace the module without removing the cargo tie down in the front RH corner of the box? This is the most idiotic F'ed up place to put this module I can think of. I guess Ford didn't count on this module going bad like it has.

Old 12-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't mess with none of that. It's been so frickin' long since I've done one, but IIRC, I take the bed rail covers off, take the inside bed side panels off (leaving the carpet and hold downs and stuff in place) then use a long extension to get to a couple of the nuts with an air ratchet, and the last one I'll wrap my arm up in a cloth fender cover (that trim is razor sharp, be careful) and bend the front panel up far enough to where I can stick my arm in between from the passenger's side and get to the last nut.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:53 PM
That's pretty much what i did. just be careful not to end the stainless to much or it will bend. also be careful of the sharp edge. i removed the tie down myself just to make it easier to pull the carpet back to make the stainless pull out more easily. The tie down has two nuts on the bottom of the frame.

Old 12-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Another question for you experts out there. The box front stainless steel panel has 5 bolts connecting it to the floorpan. The 2 outside bolts also hold a copper wire that seems to make contact with the stainless steel side panels. I take it these are grounds? Or is it something to ground the static electricity created from the plastic box tub? Anyways, the copped wire was pretty corroded and I'm wondering if I should clean them off.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I honestly don't know what those wires are for. Might be grounds for the neon lighting in the bed, I dunno.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Well, I did it. It's done and the tonneau cover works again thank goodness. My greatest fear was that I'd put everything back together and find out the module was not the problem, since I didn't do any diagnostics on it first. But it works like a charm and no parts left over which is always a good thing. But, this module was a royal pain in the **** to replace. Consider yourself lucky if the tonneau module on your Blackwood goes bad under warranty or if you don't mind handing the dealership $500 to do the work. I escaped with only a few cuts from the razor sharp stainless steel panels.

Now I'm thinking the wires secured by the outside 2 bolts were actually to keep the front stainless steel panel from pushing in after everything is secure. It is kind of flimsy on the outside corners.

Oh and one thing gave me a bit of a surprise. I connected 3 of the wire connectors to the new module and paused for a second. I thought if I plug this last one in is the tonneau going to come down on me? Sure enough it started closing on me, but the pinch protection kicked in and the cover raised up again. The front panel was kind of trapped under it too. Good thing it didn't end in disaster.

Other interesting note, as my Blackwood is one of the first ones produced (#37), the old module was a very early one. The revision number on the part was AA at the end and that was crossed out and a hand written AC was written over the top of it. The new part had a revision level of AE at the end of the part number. It also says Ford on the part and not Lincoln.

Last edited by MotorCityMadMan; 12-19-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Regal292
Well I decided to give the module replacement a try. I found the tsb #02-9-6 for the tonneau cover module and it gives a step by step procedure for the replacement. It took me all of about an hour. works fine now.
To Regal 292
I've just joined the Forum.I also have a 2002 Blackwood with 20" chromes,a Billy Boat s.s. exhaust.I"ve also lowered it 1.5" so it clears 6' barriers.I could have the only Blackwood in England? Problem is the tonneau cover stopped working.It's only done 9Kmiles.Reading some of the comments it looks like I need a new module.I'm leaving for Scottsdale Easter Sun. for a weeks vacation then on to Las Vegas for 4 days.Any help you can give me to source the crrect parts would be appreciated. John Rooke[Brit Truck]

Old 04-08-2006, 03:18 PM
When you get here just stop by a local Ford dealer Preferably A large one. Maybe Sanderson Ford Or Mel Claton. They would tend to have the part in stock and not have to order it.If you check this post i think there was a part# listed for the part you need. Expect to pay around 150 dollars . My photo album has a copy of the stepby step if you want to do it yourself. By the way how did you lower the rear. Frt is easy enough by i haven't found any one who has anything for the rear on the Blackwood.. If you get a chance post some pics. Would love to see your ride.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:26 PM
this kit will work to lower it.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=5540

the wifes tonnou just quit working about a month ago also.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:17 AM
If you get a chance post some pics. Would love to see your ride.
Thanks for the info.

Here's a pic of my truck;

Name:  BLACKWOOD.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  34.8 KB

More pics here;
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...N%20BLACKWOOD/

The lowering kit was purchased from www.performanceplus.com - I think it was manufactured by Ground Force.

Brit Truck

Old 04-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Brit Truck
I'm leaving for Scottsdale Easter Sun. for a weeks vacation then on to Las Vegas for 4 days.Any help you can give me to source the crrect parts would be appreciated. John Rooke[Brit Truck]
I auggest finding a Ford dealership local to where you'll be vacationing, then call them and ask them to order it for you (chances are they won't have one in stock & if they order it now they should alomst definitely have it by the time you get there).

rdy2rac with (the wife with the Wood)

Old 04-15-2006, 05:47 AM
Brit Truck

When you get here just stop by a local Ford dealer Preferably A large one. Maybe Sanderson Ford Or Mel Claton. They would tend to have the part in stock and not have to order it.If you check this post i think there was a part# listed for the part you need. Expect to pay around 150 dollars . My photo album has a copy of the stepby step if you want to do it yourself. By the way how did you lower the rear. Frt is easy enough by i haven't found any one who has anything for the rear on the Blackwood.. If you get a chance post some pics. Would love to see your ride.
Ordered the module from Sandersons on Bell Rd.It's in stock so I will collect next week.Thanks for your help.Cant wait to visit Arizona,we've had the coldest spring in years.

Quick Reply: Tonneau Cover Quit Working