Lightning

New to the Ford Lightning, Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the Ford Lightning, Questions

I bought a ford lightning 2 weeks ago. This is also the first ford product for me . I love the truck ans would'nt trade it for any gm or dodge. There is one thing I don't like, the fuel pump cut off at 5300 rpm . It seems just as it really starts pulling the fuel pump cuts out . This engine should be able to turn 6,000 shouldn't it. Is there anyway around this . This truck is a 1999 with 42K on it and bone stock. What can I do to bump it up a little without causing problems?

Old 02-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford buillt the cut off at 5250 so that the truck would handle 150K durability tests and allow it to meet full truck duties including the 5000lb towing capability. The way it stands, the engine is almost bullet proof.

The base SCT tune increases that to 5400 and many here are running these engines closer to 6000. It really depends on what you intend to do with the truck. Rods being the weakness in these engines, your best bet is to start by increasing boost. You can produce serious power and keep the RPMs reasonable. In a 5000lb farm truck, torque is your friend.

Welcome to the family.

Quick Reply: New to the Ford Lightning, Questions