Introduction Forum Introduce yourself to the Community here! If you have a technical question, try posting it in the appropriate forum.

Aspiring member questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Aspiring member questions

Hey everyone, I'm on the lookout for an 07-08 FX2 pickup. I currently have an 06 Mustang and am looking to get something a little bigger. I'm aware of the cam phaser issue with the 5.4 Triton and am curious about a few things. So please excuse my inexperience with these pickups.

I'm pretty well stuck on the FX2 package, I have no need for 4wd and plan to turn it into either a turbo or supercharged pickup in the long term.

I was talking with a salesman in my current city and he mentioned something about fixing the cam phaser problem. From what I've read, it's like a 45 minute job to tighten a few things up and maybe swap in new plastic parts. I'm probably wrong, so correct me please.... He said putting a high enough cam can help eliminate the problem. I haven't looked into anything yet, but it's got me curious. I wouldn't mind having a pretty hot cam if it does eliminate the issue, but regular maintenance should also eliminate it..

Looking at the FX2 package, I thought it was only equipped with the 5.4. But as I search more, I see a handful with the 4.6. Is this a typo? I know a lot of salesman have a very limited understanding of what package is what and probably confuse the STX and FX2 quite frequently. Please set me straight

Also, I think I read something about spark plug issues. Are these as prevalent in the 07-08 pickups? I believe they did a redesign partially through 06 or 07. Again, please correct me if I'm way off.

I'd appreciate any and all input on these questions, and I'll be sure to read through some older posts for my questions on tuning/heads/exhaust. But if you don't mind; please post what you've got, what you've done, and how you liked it.

Thanks a ton! Or is it two and a half tons?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Welcome! I can help with the plug question. The redesigned heads came out in early to mid 2008 and have brown boots on the COPs. However, if done correctly, the extraction of the 2 piece plugs is not a big issue. Just do a little research on it.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Welcome! I can help with the plug question. The redesigned heads came out in early to mid 2008 and have brown boots on the COPs. However, if done correctly, the extraction of the 2 piece plugs is not a big issue. Just do a little research on it.
Fantastic, thanks!

Quick Reply: Aspiring member questions