Introduction Forum Introduce yourself to the Community here! If you have a technical question, try posting it in the appropriate forum.

New guy from Tx

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy from Tx

Hello, I am about to buy a 2006 F150, and wanted some opinions on the truck.

I am looking at buying a good friends truck from him, and I know he took excellent care of the truck. All regular maint, along with any random issues were always taken care of. It has higher mileage, about 205k...with that said, engine, tranny, t-case, and front and rear diffs all are in great shape.

So tell me...I know 205k is far from amazingly high mileage, but should I be worried?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:57 PM
I meant to ask some more questions, kinda just stopped writing, lol.

Anyways...is there anything specific I should look for, or ask about? Any common problems I should be wary of?

Old 07-01-2015, 11:59 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
What engine?

The 4R75E transmission is hit or miss. Either it goes st 60k or they "last a long time"

Front end and shocks are way past due if he hasn't done anything to them yet.

5.4 3v (2004-2008.5) had issues breaking during removal.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:13 AM
It has the 5.4. Having driven the truck several times...no odd noises or noticeable issues, same with the transmission. Shifted smooth, etc.

As far as shocks...as far as I know stock. He may have replaced with new stock shocks, feel just fine driving it, but maybe I don't know what they "should" feel like. Either way, I would look to lift it soon (just a body lift right now), but if need be, I imagine new stock shocks aren't going to break the bank. It might could use an allignment, nothing terrible yet though, and it has Firestone life time allignment deal, so not terribly worried. I chalk that up more to wear and tear.

I guess I can mention that 4wd works exactly as it should...

Anything else I should look for? Oh yeah, whats this I read about spark plug issues? He has different plugs 8n already, so I assume it is a moot point, just the stock plugs?

Last edited by nm82nd; 07-02-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Engine is somewhat picky about non OEM plugs, they can cause other issues

200k on ball joints they are beyond gone, and getting pretty damgerous. 4 ball joints and 4 shocks run about 700 in parts prices alone, and double that for a full bull through a shop.

Depends on how nice the truck is, and how cheap you get it for.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: New guy from Tx