Step-by-step instructions for Do-It-Yourselfers for how to replace heater core

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

Heater core replacement! Step by step with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by craignardo
if u use disposable plastic cups instead of baggies u can just number and stack the cups with screws in them, then they are already in the right order to put everything back together
Great idea, but if your like me knocking **** over all the time, baggies work great to!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:16 PM
she blew up yesterday...bipassed it so i dont leak coolant...so ima follow this asap

Old 10-01-2011, 12:29 PM
I was unable to find the info at that link.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by donvieira
I was unable to find the info at that link.
What link? Still works for me..

http://nator.net/files/Heater Core Replacement.doc

Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 PM
I just joined to give you a massive THANK YOU for those instructions.

If you can read and use basic hand tools, you can do this job! Just remember a couple things, keep a positive attitude and don't freak out over minor variations because of model/year/options/etc.

With that said, I did screw up something with my headlights lol.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Awesome. I have to do this after deer season. This should help.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:07 AM

Halfway through. Thanks again. Great write up!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Mine went out a couple days ago so I was very happy to find this. Thanks to the OP for sharing this information. My truck isn't my primary vehicle so I have time to get all the parts ready and take my time and do it right so it may be a couple weeks. I will let you all know how it goes.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Trying to deceide weather or not to do this over the weekend. I am pretty handy but not jazzed about dealing with Air bags. If the battery is disconnected and the bags are unplugged, is there any real risk of them going off? Also, how do you run the car and check for leaks with the dash out and the steering column on the floor? Will it start?

Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Ended up using stop leak. Works for now.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM
My father and I just replaced his heater core in a 97 f150 using this site as a reference. We have about everything reassembled but apparently something happened and the truck doesn't seem to have any other gears besides drive. When in the "park" position according to the cluster panel, it's really in drive and when trying to shift gears there is nothing else besides drive. Now the truck wont' start and I'm assuming its because it's stuck in drive. What couldve happened here?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by not4sakn; 04-04-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 AM
I had posted back in January that I was going to give this a try and I finally got to it. I just want to say a big THANK YOU for the write up. It is still time consuming but I never felt overwhelmed since I had these instructions. I had a friend help me and it still took a little over 6 hours(I think we took a few more beer breaks than what the instructions called for) I was able to get the clips off without the special tool by just using needle nose pliers. The main advice I would give is to be patient when removing clips, wiring harness, interior pieces, etc. I think I broke 3-4 different little pieces due to prying too hard or just not thinking it through. Once again...GREAT write up!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:28 PM
For some reason the link is broken or removed. Rotten deal to remove what works. Grrrrrr.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Holy cow, I was afraid of that. I guess the days of opening the glove box and removing the heater core are gone? My '89 Ranger was that way, took maybe half an hour to change it out. My next experience with this was my 1998 Dakota (wife made me buy it) and it was similar to this F-150 process except you had to remove the steering column as well as the dash and A/C lines. Getting too old for this ****, good thing I have a new truck and it will be a while before I need to worry about this.
S197
PS - thanks for the good write up/instructions, they look good.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 PM
I was kicking around discussing PITA car repair stuff with coworkers when I remembered this heater core doc. I searched around to see who's using it as it's been copied and authorship has been claimed by others over the years. I don't really mind it being shared, after all I created it using other valuable posts and schematics (AlanT's in particular) provided by others and I linked to it on this forum . I tried to give credit where credit was due in the document. However, I do ask that anyone handing it out give credit where credit is due or just say "Here's what I found in my search." without claiming ownership. I've not calling on anyone here because I've seen it linked into many other websites, in particular other F150 sites who shall remain nameless. The document took hours to get right after I compared my notes and pictures to the schematics I followed to ensure I was passing on good, trustworthy information.

So, onto the important matter. My website is down. The domain has expired and due to excessive spamming on my personal @nator.net account I've discontinued use of it. The site has only been used for hosting this one document. I don't see the point in continuing paying for hosting and domain for this one document. I still have the document and it is very accessible, but where do I put it? I've pm'ed the administrator here (his name slips my mind, it's been several years now) and he had suggested a few free file sharing sites. I'm not sure what sites are out there and which are reliable and somewhat stable so if anyone has any ideas, please send them. I don't have the time or energy to research on my own. Ideally I wish that F150Online could host it. It is this site that I have found most useful over the years and every bit of info I harvested for doing the heater core came from here. If that's not an option I'm willing to put it elsewhere.

In the meantime, if anyone wants the doc, PM me and include your email address. I'll send it to you, but it may be a day or two before I can do so. I don't respond to email in the evenings or on weekends.

Thanks,
Michael

https://www.f150online.com/forums/hv...-pictures.html

Quick Reply: Heater core replacement! Step by step with pictures