Blend Door Noises??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced the temp blend door myself, took the radio and glove box out and then reached in and removed, 3 screws total.

Pretty easy.

Took me a hour being real careful.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wreedKR
I replaced the temp blend door myself, took the radio and glove box out and then reached in and removed, 3 screws total.

Pretty easy.

Took me a hour being real careful.
you actually replaced the blend door ACTUATOR motor not the blend door. The blend door itself requires dash removal.

As far as terminology there is only ONE blend door actuator(blend door "blends" cold and hot air to desired temperature). The other two actuators control the mode door and the recirc door.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by kuruption
I took my truck into the dealer and asked about the grinding noise on the blend door referring to the TSB. They SA told me that the job would require taking off the entire dash to do the replacement... 8 hours out-of-warranty minimum. I took his word for it, figured it was just a noise and told him to hold off.

I just checked AllData... and it says it's a 1 hour repair to lubricate. WTF?!

Meanwhile, today while the HVAC was on AUTO w/ A/C enabled, it was blowing hot air (while idling), so I think the actuator may need to be replaced (it got cold when I started driving, so it may not be stuck, just no cold air cause I'm idling?). If I need to replace the actuator per the second TSB, they are going to quote me 8 hours again... but again, doing this work is 1 hour per AllData.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is this something I could do myself w/ the right parts / lubricant?
not sure what specific TSB is for the noise, but if your talking about lubricating an actuator the MODE DOOR actuator has two levers under it that need to be lubricated with grease(I did it in about an hour, this is what that AllData must be tlaking about??). Don't know if this is your problem but it is an easy job, I just did it about a week ago.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Hawkz28
you actually replaced the blend door ACTUATOR motor not the blend door. The blend door itself requires dash removal.

As far as terminology there is only ONE blend door actuator(blend door "blends" cold and hot air to desired temperature). The other two actuators control the mode door and the recirc door.
You are correct sorry guy I replaced the blend door actuator.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:00 PM
I believe this is the TSB for lubing the mode door:

GRINDING NOISE FROM CLIMATE CONTROL— TSB 08-8-9
CHANGING AIR DISTRIBUTION MODES—BUILT
AFTER 11/29/2005
FORD: LINCOLN:
2005-2008 F-150 2006-2008 Mark LT
5. Clean all existing lube from cam. ISSUE
Some 2005-2008 F-150 (excludes Heritage) and 6. Liberally apply Motorcraftâ PTFE Lubricant to
2006-2008 Lincoln Mark LT vehicles built after the cam tracks. (Figure 2)
11/29/2005 may exhibit a grinding noise from the
climate control system while changing air
distribution modes.
ACTION
Perform the following Service Procedure to correct
the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Set control head to panel mode.
NOTE
DO NOT ENERGIZE THE MODE DOOR MOTOR
WITHOUT IT BEING CONNECTED TO THE
UPPER PLENUM.
Figure 2 - Article 08-8-9
2. Leaving the motor plugged in and installed to
7. Reassemble components in reverse order of the cam plate, remove the four bolts that attach
removal. the cam plate to the upper plenum. (Figure 1)
8. Cycle the control head from panel to defrost
mode a few times until the noise is eliminated.
PART NUMBER PART NAME
XG-8 Motorcraftâ PTFE Lubricant
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of
New Vehicle Limited
Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty
coverage limits/policies are
not altered by a TSB.
Warranty coverage limits
are determined by the
Figure 1 - Article 08-8-9 identified causal part.
3. Remove cam plate.
4. Remove cam.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:55 PM
I seem to have found a pattern, my door seems to clunk when I come to a stop and accelerate. Its like it changes to outside air then noise back to recirc.

I am gonna ask Ford dealer about it when I take truck in for tranny service.

Truck blows 29F cool air so I not too worried.

Did you ever find anythign out?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I think its the air inlet door. I have removed my glove box and am going to attempt to catch it in action tomorrow.

Anyone else have this problem?

Old 08-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Well I took the truck to the dealer and they said problem was alignment of when I installed the updated actuator door. They replaced the actuator again. We will see if it fixes it. Does anyone know if it can be installed wrong? Im pretty sure I followed direction on here.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Did any of you ever find yall problem?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:44 AM
ok....answers. You cannot install an actuator wrong. It has a odd shaped arm that slides up into the bottom of the blend door, it can only go in one way. The problems that you are describing with the noise sounds EXACTLY like a broken blend door bottom. The blend door is made of plastic, what happens is every time you start your vehicle the motor of the actuator goes through its range, rotating the blend door open and closed. The motor's stop points are further than the blend doors movement will allow, so that the motor in the actuator reverses when it hits resistance. Over time, the plastic gets fatigued and ultimately breaks at the bottom of the blend door. When this happens it loses its structural integrity and can flop open and closed during hard turns and stops and goes. If you get a fluctuating temperature with the noise then the problem is absolutely in your blend door. There is an easy fix, there is a company that sells a replacement blend door that is metal and that you can install yourself for around $120 without removing the dash. I did it in my expedition which is the same piece for the F150. I am not trying to sell his product, only that it fixed my problem. The company was called Heatertreater.net. Overall the install was pretty easy and I was able to fix my problem for good. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 AM
I figured since workshop manual didnt say anything about aligning the actuator you did not have to. I feel better knowing I did it right. My truck has 30000 miles and has had the clunk problem since new. I am on the 3rd actuator this time dealer installed and it seems to be better. I have not had it clunk yet.

How do you replace door without removing dash?

BTW remember my truck is a 07 model. Looks like heatertreater doesnt have a part for me.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 AM
wreed
My replacement wasn't on the new 04-08. Let me do some checking to see what I can find about the actuator removal for those years. I did have to remove some items underneath but nothing too hard to get to. I will get back with you if I find out the actuator removal process for your year.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:04 AM
looking at the pics on heater treater.com the hole and mounting location of the actuator looks identical to mine. i bet its the same.

like i said i have the official Ford workshop manual for my truck and it says NOTHING about properly aligning the actuator when replacing.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by wreedKR
looking at the pics on heater treater.com the hole and mounting location of the actuator looks identical to mine. i bet its the same.

like i said i have the official Ford workshop manual for my truck and it says NOTHING about properly aligning the actuator when replacing.
removing the dash is a PITA. Depending on how bad this clunk is, I might just live with it...................

Hopefully the new actuator helps though.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:38 PM
New actuator has not helped. I think it could be a faulty EATC moduel too

Quick Reply: Blend Door Noises??