Need a new HU that will sync with iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a new HU that will sync with iPhone

Hey guys it has been awhile since I have posted but I find myself in need of advice on my truck so what better place to go, right?

So, I have an 08 STX and it has a regular CD player AM/FM radio in it from Ford. Over the last few years I have used a cable to connect to my phone to play my music. Today the cable broke. Loose connection or something but it crackles and the left channels go out.

Anyway, rather than spend money on a cable I thought maybe it is time to upgrade the HU.

Here is what I would like. I am looking for a HU that will sync with my phone (iPhone 5 at the moment) and let me play music from my phone or place a call through the HU like a hands free. Preferably by bluetooth or wireless of some sort. I don't want anything flashy that will entice a would be thief. I will entertain a stock option from Ford if it exists and does not require dash surgery to get it in. Not too worried about cost but obviously I am not Fort Knox.

I don't want to replace the speakers and I will not be adding a box or external amp. My truck sits in my driveway and they are way to easy to break into for me to be dumping money into a sound system.

I need recommendations and links to ideas if you would be so kind. Preferably ones you have personal experience with.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:07 PM
I made a horrible mistake. I went to Crutchfield and started looking at audio stuff. Maybe I will just look at some replacement speakers, a smallish amp and a small box for some bass. Nothing overboard though.

Anyone have either of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500UTE5...T.html?tp=5684

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X560...T.html?tp=5684

Old 04-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Both of those would be good options for what you want, personally out of those two I'd choose the alpine, provides slightly more power for the door speakers, better sound adjustment, and the inputs are on the front. So if a cable breaks your not pulling the whole radio again to replacement.

And I'd recommend replacing the headunit before redoing all the speakers and trying it out first. The newer trucks like yours actually came with some decent speakers from factory but the factory headunits didn't really allow them to shine.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 AM
Good idea. I like the options on the Alpine much better as well. Looks like its time to order.

Quick Reply: Need a new HU that will sync with iPhone