Harley-Davidson

Rear differential needs an upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear differential needs an upgrade.

So I think my rear differential is going out and its time to repair/replace/upgrade it. is it worth repairing differentials, should I fork out the money to just replace it? I'm also thinking of some sort of an upgrade. any recommendations?

Old 02-18-2016, 06:33 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Make sure the problem is diagnosed correctly first. If there is an issue with it, take it to a 4x4 shop for repair. They replace gears a lot and generally know what they are doing, probably much more so than the Ford Dealer that will charge you twice as much.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Make sure the problem is diagnosed correctly first. If there is an issue with it, take it to a 4x4 shop for repair. They replace gears a lot and generally know what they are doing, probably much more so than the Ford Dealer that will charge you twice as much.
Right, ya i took it to a driveline/differential shop they say it sounds like bearings but they also advised me the mess could be worse once inside. Im looking to get a full bearing job and change to 4.10 gears for around 1150.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:08 PM
Had to replace mine. Went with Yukon brand.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by HumbleWalker888
So I think my rear differential is going out and its time to repair/replace/upgrade it. is it worth repairing differentials, should I fork out the money to just replace it? I'm also thinking of some sort of an upgrade. any recommendations?
What makes you think it's going out? What are the symptoms?

I'm going with this and a mag hytec cover so I can do my own drain and refills without having to remove the casing every time I want to do a service on it. Also the diff is all gear driven so no worry about the springs or clutch packs going out.

Quick Reply: Rear differential needs an upgrade.