taking my truck out of storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taking my truck out of storage

posted this somewhere else but thought i might get some more answers here. my truck has been in storage for the past 9 months (non climate controlled garage). I've gotten engines back up and running after sitting for a long time before so im familiar with alot of the basics like changing the spark plugs, engine oil, fuel filter, cranking the engine with the plugs out to build oil pressure before starting, etc. but my question is would you guys put a small amount of something like Marvel Mystery Oil or similar down into the spark plug holes for an engine thats only been sitting for 9 months? would rather play it safe but i just wanted your opinions. like i said I'm pretty familiar with the basics on getting my truck ready for the raod again but do you guys have any other tips you wanna share? Especially related to the 04-08 4.6l. thanks

Old 09-18-2014, 12:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
to me the gas is the major problem. if you didnt use a fuel stabilizer then i would drain as much as you can.

i cant see why you would need to replace the plugs or go thru the oil in the cylinders.

i would change oil, drain gas, new gas and fire it up...that is me.

i have seen alot of people damaging catalytic convertors and fuel sytems running "cleaners" these newer truck are really built well, just run a good gas and change the oil and they go forever.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:13 PM
yeah i put her away with a full tank of premium and stabil

Old 09-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Nine months really isn't that long -- vehicles sit that amount of time on a dealer lot more often than you think! With the stabilizer in the fuel tank I'd just fire her up and be done with it -- I generally change the oil in my stored vehicles just before I put them in mothballs, so I don't mess with it when I get them back on the road.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:29 AM
i changed the oil right before i stored the truck as well. I was just concerned with combustion taking place in the cylinder without proper lubrication first. I'm all about preventative measures but if I'm wasting my time with the mmo id rather not deal with taking out those PITA spark plugs.

Quick Reply: taking my truck out of storage