4.6l egr

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6l egr

I have an 03 4.6L and the EGR line nut ( manifold side) is completely gone and rusted up. It not just looks like a rusted lump sticking up off the manifold where the threads should be. Everything else is fine up too besides at the bottom the line is shot with some holes in it. These were my ideas. I thought about just pulling the EGR line and putting a screw on cap on the top and gettig a cap on the bottom and sottering it or something to close it up. Second I thought about completely replacing it , but in order to do that I need to clean the threads up to put the new but on. How is the easiest way to clean them threads up ? Third is there a was to putting something at the bottom to kinda rig the line in a way to where I can stop the dam leak so it doesn't tick any more ? Any input would be greatly helpful. Thanks !!

Old 03-01-2015, 10:54 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
We went through that with my son in law's 4.6 last year. Unfortunately, we had to replace the exhaust manifold and EGR pipe. You CAN buy a new fitting to screw into the manifold, but it's very difficult to get the old fitting out. Either way, you need a new pipe.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...5713&ppt=C0018

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...6215&ppt=C0018

We tried patching the leak but it didn't work. If you cut and cap it, it will not run right, the gas mileage suffers, and you will have a constant CEL with a P0401.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Yeah that's what I've read. There is no but left on there is litterly gone just the threads are really rusty. You think I could just screw the new one on and it would clean the threads itself as it goes on ?

Old 03-01-2015, 01:11 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Go get a new pipe and pull the old one off. Inspect the threads on the nipple and clean them the best you can, use Deep Creep and a wire brush. Do not try to screw a new pipe down onto a crudded up nipple. Not only do the threads have to be clean, the beveled end of the nipple has to be clean and smooth or it will leak.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Okay thanks

Quick Reply: 4.6l egr