Help, my milage has gone down the toilet

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help, my milage has gone down the toilet

So I went and had my exhaust modified on the weekend. I went with a Ravin Z-33 SI/DO
with stainless tips. For those that don't know, the Z-33 is the highest flow of the Z series,
thus being the loudest. The first thing I will say is the sound, it is Awesome, deep,
throaty, none of that blub blub sound or anything. I am 100% impressed. The tipss look
awesome and the package as a whole is pretty damm hot. But with the good I guess the
bad must follow. After having everything installed I kept my eye on the fuel gage. Well to
my dismay, the fuel gage was dropping like a rock. Before the mod, I was getting about
280-300 KILOMETRES to a half tank and after the mod, I seemd to get around 140-150
KILOMETRES per half tank. This is just average driving. Now I realize I may have my foot
into the throttle a little more, but man not enough to drop my fuel milage by half. Does
anyone have any oppinions that may help recifty my situation? One thing I had heard
somewhere is the computer need to go through a "re-leaning" process that elp everything
get back into sink once a modification to intake or exhaust happens. Does anyone know if
this is true? I asked the local Ford Dealer and the looked at me like I was nuts. Somebody,
Anybody, give me some advice. Because if it oesn't get any better I just may have to say
good-bye to the awesome sound just to save some cash on gas. Oh well, I geuss we live
and learn eh?
By the way I am going to post this same message in the Aftermarket forum to see if I get
anymore hits/advise
Cheers
OPIPE

Old 09-24-2001, 01:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try resetting the computer first. Disconnect the battery and turn on the lights. This drains all the reserver power in the system. Leave disconnected for like 15 minutes. Turn off lights, and reconnect the battery. Then drive the truck around bring it up all the way through it's RPM range and shift points. Take it out on the highway and do some WOT runs. Watch out for the cops!

Drive as you normally would too. It will take about 100 miles or so to get the computer used to the new setup.

Mine started to get better mileage after about a full tank of gas after the reset.

Quick Reply: Help, my milage has gone down the toilet