Finally, my OBX longtube headers installed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally, my OBX longtube headers installed!

I've been wanting headers for a while, finally got them, OBX long tubes with their high flow cats from Sparktek Motorsports. What prompted me to do the install was my cats rattling and a bad tick usually under load or on cold starts. This is on my 2000 F-150 XLT 5.4L Auto Reg cab 4x4. Here's what I found:

Both exhaust manifold studs, #4 cylinder were broken off, but luckily at the base of the nut, not head. Some of this:

and vise grips got them out pretty easy. That's Kroil penetrating oil for those not familiar, great stuff!!

Now, I went ahead and started disassembling the old exhaust, EGR tube was easy, manifold nuts and studs driver side were easyish but the pass side were tough. You have to have a good assortment of wrenches, ratchets and extensions to do this, both metric and SAE. A lot of one click turns to get stuff off, but manageable. Some of my passenger side nuts were so rotted, I needed these:

to remove the nuts. Easy thereafter. The driver side studs that remained in the head were taken off easy by a 5mm or 6mm socket, 1/4" drive. I ended up Sawzalling off my exhaust as the nuts were too far gone. Yes the starter has to me taken off. Remember to disconnect the battery before you begin!! Other than taking the inner fenders out and placing jack stands, that's it for prep. Remember to remove the dipstick tube too, can be a pain to wiggle out but it'll come out!!

Once I got all the old crap off, on goes the new. I did not but you should install the o2 extensions now while there's room. Putting the headers on, the driver side went in easy. Taped the gasket to the header was a good idea on this side, doing that will f it up on the pass side. Got it up, did the EGR nut first to hold it while I hand started the bolts. Passenger side went in with a bit of a fight but wiggled in eventually. I had to bend the tranny dipstick tube a bit so it's not resting on the header (good tip). The rest of the exhaust went on straight forward, used 2 old o2 sensors to plug 2 of the 6 bungs. I'm trying to remember any other tips, but will post if I do. Remember, the starter can be a beotch to install. All in total, 3 days, between 12-14 hrs total between and it's done. I ran into a lot of delay, plus other things around the house needed doing. It was a beautiful Feb weekend too, warm and sunny with little wind which made it nice. Here's some more pics:

Last edited by BLUE20004X4; 02-14-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice....Enjoy....

Old 02-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have video, I find those who post you really can't tell much. In real life, the difference is night and day!! It is freakin loud now! Sounds like a Lightning w/ aftermarket exhaust minus the blower whine. I have a JBA SI/SO 3" cat back already so it compliments nicely now!

Quick Reply: Finally, my OBX longtube headers installed!