You gotta be kidding me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Man, that is awesome!!!

Originally posted by Bighersh
Nice truck-
Veeeeery nice truck!
Kenne Bell, not a bad way to spend $3,500.....

More like $4,200 for the polished one!

So, is there any truth to the 50% HP/Torque increase speculations???

Absolutely Not!

Old 11-11-2002, 03:58 AM
Family ride---I sthat marine place, full throttle marine??? They are right down the street from me...

Sorry guys I didn't mean to offen nobody, But everytime I get on the threads everone has ANTI diesel thoughts...

I am trying to spread the word that the diesels are not all that bad...When you take vehicles this big and want to get 20mpg, and tow anything, and that just fly, then the diesel is the way to go...

Those numbers were 1/8 mile not 1/4...

But none the less 10 secs to 70mph is pretty good for a 7200lb vehicle...

Oh, BTW---You guys have some SWEET Rides !!!!

Old 11-11-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Mach1
Family ride---I sthat marine place, full throttle marine??? They are right down the street from me...

Sorry guys I didn't mean to offen nobody, But everytime I get on the threads everone has ANTI diesel thoughts...

I am trying to spread the word that the diesels are not all that bad...When you take vehicles this big and want to get 20mpg, and tow anything, and that just fly, then the diesel is the way to go...

Those numbers were 1/8 mile not 1/4...

But none the less 10 secs to 70mph is pretty good for a 7200lb vehicle...

Oh, BTW---You guys have some SWEET Rides !!!!

Obviously you have never been on ford-diesel.com. If you own a ford excursion or superduty and did not get the $4200 diesel option you are treated like an idiot or cheap. There is one forum for gassers. Your not even allowed to open a gallery and post pictures of your truck if it is not a diesel! However there is a lot of useful info about ford superdutys and excursions. So if you want to glean the useful info you have to put up with it or do with out.

Old 11-11-2002, 10:17 PM
That's it. I've known Bob for about a year. He's been doing a lot of engine work as a hobby for people literally all over the US. He opened his own shop (right down the road from his house too) to take his hobby a little further in his retirment. He's actually got another boat from the DFW area right down there now for a bad a$$ repower (600+HP 540 Merlin) and another guy from up north for his annual work (Supercharged 454 MAG). He should be done with mine in a couple weeks. Nothing too wild but it should run better, and louder! I trusted him so much more than the large Sea Ray dealer near me I towed it almost 300 miles vs. 15 miles to an authorized Sea Ray dealer.

Ok, sorry guys, back to TRUCKS.

Old 11-19-2002, 05:34 AM
FR--I thought you weren't a bad guy, this guy is a mile from my house!! he seems like a professional...I have wanted to stop by and see him, maybe i will this week...This is in friendly downtown Spicewood texas...

Mrrottondog---yes we at Thedieselstop.com frown on the V10...It just doesn't seem right, the reason to get the SD is because of the diesel..The v10 drinks fuel and doesn't go 400000, and cant keep up with the diesel, even stock..75% of the sd are 7.3, the other 25% are 5.4 and V10..what does this say???

But we do treat everyone equal and there are places to post, even pictures of your truck...

Real trucks dont have spark plugs...

have you ever driven a Diesel, then you would understand...

Old 11-19-2002, 10:09 PM

Mrrottondog---yes we at Thedieselstop.com frown on the V10...It just doesn't seem right, the reason to get the SD is because of the diesel..The v10 drinks fuel and doesn't go 400000, and cant keep up with the diesel, even stock..75% of the sd are 7.3, the other 25% are 5.4 and V10..what does this say???

But we do treat everyone equal and there are places to post, even pictures of your truck...

have you ever driven a Diesel, then you would understand... [/B]
Well.. You're definitely a perfect example of the mentality of many of your diesel cronies there. Always ready to belittle someone else's choice in engines. Always implying that you just have to be an idiot to have anything other than a diesel. I assume your percentages are a joke?
I don't have a problem with diesel engines just some of their arrogant owners!

Old 11-19-2002, 10:39 PM
Diesels don't make sense for a lot of people. The price tag is one reason not to get one. The other reasons for me included the following:
  • short trip driving
  • noise
  • smell
  • I can work on a gas v-10 and get new long blocks for $3600
  • heater works better(from what I'm told)
  • My wife drives it and didn't want the diesel

Old 11-20-2002, 04:22 AM
MMttdorf--I went back and reread my post..I did not belittle anyone, or his choice in engines...

I merely stated some facts...which are that facts...The percentages are for real...so this tells me the reason people buy SD's is because of the diesel options...

I did not say the V10 was junk, just eats fuel and wont go 400-500k...

Yes you have to pay more for the diesel...

easter-and why cant you work on diesels, the wrenchs are different???The long block price is important because if you keep it long enough you will be doing one...while the diesel will still be cruising down the road...Oh did I mention to the fuel mileage drops off with a gasser where the diesel dont as long as it is maintained...

The diesels are for the people who work their trucks, they really shine when you hook 12000lbs on the back of them..I get better fuel economy with 10000lbs. then you get empty with a gasser..which is usually the way I run it with a load...

Not trying to belittle anyone--just trying to spread the good word for the diesel...

Old 11-20-2002, 07:26 AM
Mrrottondog---yes we at Thedieselstop.com frown on the V10...It just doesn't seem right, the reason to get the SD is because of the diesel..

have you ever driven a Diesel, then you would understand...
I would say that these are a couple of prime examples of you belittling others, albiet somehwat indirectly, about their choice in drivetrain in the SD. Apparently FORD doesn't agree with your "Real trucks don't have spark plugs" comment, or would you say that the majority of the best selling truck in America for the past million years (slight exaggeration) AREN'T really trucks?? The last time I checked, spark plugs were mandatory on all F150s.

Old 11-20-2002, 01:10 PM
V10

Been over at F-D.com awhile now, never had anybody bash for having a V10. Gets better mileage than my 390 Cougar, runs smooth, get about 14 mpg loaded up on highway. Just swapped out front springs for U-codes from Superduty. No more bottoming out, looks better too.

Old 11-20-2002, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mach1
[B]MMttdorf--I went back and reread my post..I did not belittle anyone, or his choice in engines...

MMcDORK1-- If you don't think your post is belittling and biased then there isn't anything anyone will be able to say to make you understand.

I merely stated some facts...which are that facts...The percentages are for real...so this tells me the reason people buy SD's is because of the diesel options...

Facts? Real Percentages? If You think 75% of Superdutys are diesels and 25% are 5.4's then your beyond help and I won't waste my time getting into a little gas/diesel flame war with you!

Last edited by mrrottndog; 11-20-2002 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:12 PM
easter-and why cant you work on diesels, the wrenchs are different???The long block price is important because if you keep it long enough you will be doing one...while the diesel will still be cruising down the road...Oh did I mention to the fuel mileage drops off with a gasser where the diesel dont as long as it is maintained...

I posted the price for a V-10 long block because it is important. Driven normal I expect a V-10 to last about 150-200K miles. If you mainly do in town driving and little towing the extra expense of the diesel just doesn't add up. The engine is an extra $4500 option. I can go out and get a new V-10 long block for $3600. I can do the install myself or I could get someone to install it for $1000.

It is a no brainer to get a diesel if you tow or drive long distances on trips. Unless you prefer the quiet a V-10 affords.

Noise, smell, comfort are all part of the decision. I probably won't keep the excursion much longer than 100000K miles anyway so the engine lasting doesn't matter so much to me. As long as there are replacement vehicles as big as the excursion or suburban I will have one.

Of course it is cheaper in the long run, with fuel economy figured in, to drive a diesel.
If you drive 20K miles per year and keep the truck 5 years you can save $6500 in fuel costs assuming the figures in the table are correct. You also paid out $4500 extra in the purchase price.

table
87 octane gasoline $1.50/gal
diesel $1.70/gal
mileage diesel excursion 20mpg
mileage gasoline excursion 10mpg

Old 11-21-2002, 02:27 PM
haha my mom has a black excursion... kinda sad to say.. it has the lil 5.4 in it. man it looks like you can fit 2 people in it, close the hood and they wll have lil houses (well not really) no pics of it.. but its a 2000 XLT Black w/ grey cloth and everything is stock on it.. ithas more power than i thought it would have but stoplight spurts it gets some attention. We got it for about 31k in summer of 00 and it has about 10k miles on it... still holding up great

Old 11-21-2002, 02:30 PM
if you guys want.. i can post some pics of it but its all stock, but if you havent seen the 5.4 in it...

Old 11-23-2002, 01:27 AM
MTT-I like the way you go back and change what I wrote...Like-mttndork, when I wrote wttdorf..

I also stated 75% diesel and 25% 5.4 and V10..not 25% 5.4..

It seems like you are on the defensive and then twist the statements around...

I like the way if you had to do it over you would do the Diesel...

The diesel is popular, Is it right for every one-- NO...

Oh yeah they, Ford is trying to get the V6 4.5 liter diesel in the F150, and no it wont have spark plugs,..

Quick Reply: You gotta be kidding me!