Won't start HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't start HELP

First off I'm new here been looking through this and enjoyed all the stuff. Here is my problem I have a2001 ford f150 5.4 4x4 will not start I have all power to dash lights radio etc etc turn key nothing. I do however here a click in the fuse box under the dash and a click in the starter relay when I try to start it. Took battery to have tested says cranking amps were real low 200's though maybe this is problem so took battery out of van tried again same thing, so I searched inter web thought maybe it was starter relay on firewall replaced it still nothing. A little back story the truck does have the windshield leak just started showing itself last few months and had all the crazy things go on with electrical but once it dried out was fine. So if anyone could point me in another direction it would be greatly appreciated thanks again

Old 09-29-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Whats the cranking amps of the 2nd battery? Our trucks starters need power. Check the connections at the starter and make sure they are clean too. A Bad ground can cause issues too.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll keep this short and basic. Odds are simply a bad starter, but it could be something else. Might as well rule out the obvious first.

Assuming your connections are good and you have a working battery, give the starter a few whaps with a blunt object. If it starts, replace the starter.

Could be other things, but that's a simple, old school way to start. Had a buddy who did this on an old Explorer for about six months before he finally had his starter rebuilt.

Or... Just take your starter off and have your local parts store test it. You can check with a test light to ensure the starter is getting power first.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:16 AM
One added thing I cannot start truck with bridging starter relay only a little spark if that helps

Old 09-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Battery cables, connections, starter motor, etc....

You'll have to have it tested.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys attempted to pull starter untill the rain set in looking pretty rough though

Quick Reply: Won't start HELP