Need advice on broken linkage in steering column.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on broken linkage in steering column.

I have a 1996 F-150 that ran fine; however, I have not cranked it in a month and now it will not start. I bought it used and the horn never worked for over two years but it did start well with the turn of the key. I first came to this site when one day the truck would not start and with you help discovered the linkage was broken. I do not feel qualified enough to pull the steering wheel so I wired a push-button from the solenoid into the cab to start the truck when the key is engaged. It worked great but now after sitting a month the battery was dead. In jumping it off I could not get it started although the engine turned over it would not fire. The weird thing is on the second try when I turned the key the horn blew with the turn of the key. I also can now beep the horn from the horn button on the steering wheel. My question is could the horn now working be related to the broken linkage in the steering wheel? Also, is it safe to operate with the linkage broken? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is my guess as to where to start. Take off the upper and lower covers from the column and inspect the harness and plug for chaffing or breaks.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for info.

I removed the covers and all visible wiring and plugs appear to be okay. Can I remove the top of the steering wheel - IT HAS AN AIR BAG and I am not sure if that is safe. I have removed the battery from the truck.

Quick Reply: Need advice on broken linkage in steering column.