No brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No brake lights

Hi I have a 97 and I am having a issue with the brake lights not working, along with the rear turn signals. If I turn the lights not the light up but don't light when I press the brake peddle or turn on the turn signals. That being said my center light does work and I checked the fuse and replace the turn signal switch in the steering colum..I also checked the wiring under the truck and I'm not getting power to them either (they should be the green/ orange wire an another green on right?) I'm at my wits ends and figure it out any and all help would be grateful.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the site...Introduce yourself to the Community here! If you have a technical question, try posting it in the appropriate forum. Enjoy the ride...

Old 06-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the multi-function swicth in the steering column.

That part caused similar issues to a plethora of Ford trucks of that era.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
when you had it apart replacing the MFS ( MultiFunction Switch aka turn signal switch ) did you check the connector to see if the pins were pulled out ?

This can be somewhat common, that the tilt on the wheel pulls at the wiring and the pins for the left and right Stop / Turn get pulled out.

If this happens, some times titling the steering wheel will remove enough pressure to allow connection again, but this is a test step.

Here is a picture of how one member had to secure the connector ( after pushing the pins back in ).

Quick Reply: No brake lights