Battery dead(?), Security theft and Airbag light blinking rapidly-Engine won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery dead(?), Security theft and Airbag light blinking rapidly-Engine won't Start

Hi,

I am sorry if this is in the wrong subforum, if it is then please redirect me to the proper subforum.

I have a Ford F-150, STX, 2004. It is a Certified Pre-owned vehicle purchased from a Ford dealership.

I was driving it home today, and right as I am about to finish parking, it shuts off. Then when I tried to turn it back on, the engine would not turn, or do anything. The weather was hot and I was using the AC.

Here's what I noticed:

1. The airbag light on the dash blinks rapidly when I try to turn the engine on.
2. The security theft (PATS) light blinks rapidly when I try to turn the key (to start the engine or just to turn the car on).
3. I hear a rapid clicking noise, more like tapping, as if someone is tapping a pen.
4. After I tried to turn the engine on, and it didn't work, I took out the key and the handle that reads the MPH stutters/shakes for 2-3 seconds before becoming static again.
5. The parking lights turn on, but night lights don't. The radio works. The horn does not work.

I've read that it might be the PAT system messing up, or I'm using the wrong key. But I've only had the one key since I purchased this vehicle. I tried moving the steering wheel up and down, pulling on the gear shift to move it to neutral--and after that nothing is happening still.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this??

Please and thank you for any and all suggestions.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-30-2014, 12:13 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I think the first thing to eliminate is the battery. These trucks require a strong battery and when one is getting weak, they do strange things.

Quick Reply: Battery dead(?), Security theft and Airbag light blinking rapidly-Engine won't Start