Power fold mirror mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power fold mirror mod questions

This is directed at SSCULLY:

I am doing this mod for my 04 Lariat. I got the new mirror switch and new mirrors. I followed the pin matching without using any relays and they fold as supposed to. However the new switch must reverse polarity or something is pinned different. The mirros themselves now move In opposite direction compared to the command I give it at the joystick (up is down, left is right, etc). I am not quite sure how to fix this as it seems there are many combinations of pin output selections by the switch. Do you have any ideas of how I can get the polarity swapped back? Would it be easiest to swap wires at the door harness connection.

Also, the new mirrors came with puddles. I tapped these into what I thought to be the dome light wire by the hood release. Found it using a test light. But the lamps only turn on very dim. Not sure why. Perhaps the wire I found is not full 12v.

Finally, any ideas on how to tighten the mirror hinges themselves? The driver one is loose. It moves by motor as supposed to, but it does not take much to move it manually. Is there a bolt within the assembly that can be tightened? I have found forums about taking these things apart and have done do but can't find anywhere that effects the hinged area.

Thanks in advance for anyone's support!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure what new switch you have or what changes you made to the mirror connector.

If the new switch is for the same model year truck, I would say the problem is at the mirror head itself.

Time to go back and check how it was wired.

This is the 2004-2006 wiring diagram ( there are 2 depending on which build series you have )

Might want to start with the mirror switch itself, and see if it is correct

This is what you should have started with ( 2004-2006 MY diagram )

This is what I think you went to with the power fold / puddle lamp.
- Unless you got 2006 King Range mirror heads for your truck...

The puddle lamp, which circuit did you use ?
- There are 2 blue w/ black stripe wires in the connectors by the hood release.

This thread shows which one is the interior lamp circuit

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...t-circuit.html

Hope you did not pick off circuit 875, the last member I saw do that had some serious problems.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all the details.

My truck is a 2004 (built 12/03 i think). The new mirrors (kool-vue aftermarket) worked fine with the old switch, exception being the power fold option since that swtich could not operate that feature. The mirrors moved up and down and left and right, matching the joystick motions. When I put in the new 2007 switch, with power folding capabilities, that is when things got backwards. My guess is the polarity changed in the switch. I have seen these diagrams before, and what it seems I need to do (perhaps easiest), and will try, is to switch the wires at the door harness itself, swapping 3&4 and swapping 5&6 at door. I tried moving things around at the switch itself, and for the life of me, could not figure out a correct combo, since it seems there are MANY based on switch settings.

You showed a 2005 door harness diagram, my 2004 did not match this originally. I had to add in 7 and 16 wires for power fold, add in 8 for puddle, and then move the ground from 9 to 11. The new mirrors did not have pins in 2 and 9, only 11, at least driver side did not.

For the puddle circuit, I am pretty sure 53 is what i used. I tapped into it and used a LED test light confirm it operated with the dimmer switch. And the puddle does turn on and off, but it just is not bright at all, even with dimmer switch all the way up and on. Seems like it may not be getting full 12V. Wonder if i have a short somewhere, or my wire tap is not good. I guess I should test with a meter to confirm.

And the issue with the loose drivers side mirror hinge, I ordered a replacement sent to me by the seller, and will get it today. So I will see if it is any better. There is a night and day difference is the hinge folding assembly between driver and passenger ones. The driver one can fold in very easily manually by hand, and also, when the door slams shut, it bounces around.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:44 PM
Got this all done today.

Swapping 3&4 and 5&6 at the door mirror harness connector fixed the reversed mirror movement.

The new mirror i got was much more firm.

And not sure what I did but puddles work better.

All this was done with no relays. Just the new mirrors, new switch, and wired pins 6 on switch to 7 on mirrors and 4 on switch to 16 on mirrors. Works great!

Quick Reply: Power fold mirror mod questions