Lost both Auto Headlights/Overdrive switch...Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Lost both Auto Headlights/Overdrive switch...Thanks!

I lost both of my auto headlight and overdrive switch functions on my 2002 F150 Lariat. The overdrive switch went first, then the auto headlight which were both hooked into the same 5a fuse that kept popping.
After searching the various related topics it became clearer and clearer that what I had was a problem with the overdrive switch system and it turned out to be true. As I found by searching this site there were many cases of the connecting wiring rubbing against the gear shift lever pivot that eventually rubbed through the wiring sheath and into the wires themselves that eventually shorted one of them to the metal of the shift lever.
I'm not going to say it was a simple fix because the spot that was worn through was only about 3/4" from where it enters the shift lever, but I came up with a workable fix that I think will prevent any further problems with it and I'm not back in business. One fix cures two problems.
My thanks to all who previously posted their experiences with the same problem, especially the many tutorials on how to remove the shrouds off to access the problem area. Daunting at first, but when I look back, not so bad. If I have to do it again I would consider it a piece of cake!
Great forum!

Quick Reply: Lost both Auto Headlights/Overdrive switch...Thanks!