Signal Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Signal Light Problem

I've bought a used 2002 F150 and have a signal light issue. Left turn signal at front, side mirror and back works fine. Right turn only works on the back, and only fast flashes. Changed front bulb, no diffrence. Checked fuses, all fine. Another weird thing is the turn indicator on the dash does not light either(only for right side, left works fine). Hazard lights same thing, does not light on front right but back works. Signal light on the dash does not light in hazard mode as well. Could a burnt mirror bulb cause this? Is the front/side signal on a diffrent circuit than the back?(flasher problem?) any ideas? Thanks.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Trying to recall from memory, this sounds like dirty contacts in the MFS ( Multi Function Switch - turn signal, high beam lever, wipers ).

Few things to try before removing it to clean / replace it.

Try cycling the hazard flashers a few times.
- Members have reported that this cleans the contacts and things return to normal.

Might help you, might not but worth 5 min of turning the hazards on and off, before bailing into removing it to clean or replace it.

The MFS has 2 sections, the front and rear. This is to integrate the stop function into the same bulb element.

I would try this 1st.

Next maybe checking for the ground on the front unit, but I would suspect other issues if this were the case ( dim headlamp, dim parkng lamp, etc )

Old 01-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so reading some other threads as well, most pointed to MFS or steering column wiring. The steering wheel was is the lowest position on the tilt setting. Moved the wheel up and it fixed itself(love it when that happens). So yes, MFS or wiring issues. Will take apart this weekend. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good catch, drew a blank on why I did not include that suggestion.

That is an easy one, no need to remove the MFS.

The connector appears to be pulled apart.

One member used some wire to hold it together.

Make sure you pull up on the truck side of the harness and zip tie it to the subframe behind the knee panel, so it does not start to pull out again.

Quick Reply: Signal Light Problem