2002 F150 FX4 - 5.4L Auto - no start - flashing theft light

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F150 FX4 - 5.4L Auto - no start - flashing theft light

Okay here it goes...

No fuel pump, no spark, and the theft light is flashing repeatedly after the key is turned on. Sounds like a PAT's problem.

I scanned the DTC codes using the procedure linked here.

There are only two codes, one of which is dealing with the MCN, which links the various components.

DTC 5284 : Oil pressure switch failure (duh, the truck isn't running )
DTC D262 : Missing SCP Message

The truck does have a Hypertune III flash, probably needs to be unpaired to remove that from the equation.

Neither the original Ford key and a copy (which used to work) are working.

Found the information below regarding the DTC D262

Ford - SCP MESSAGE MISSING (Error Code)
D262 "missing SCP" (aka U1-262) indicates that there was a disruption in the Module Communications Network (MCN).

This network links the PCM/ RCM/ HEC/ GEM & ABS (if applicable) modules together for data transfer communications.

The instrument cluster incorporates the PATS control module functions which is connected through the MCN.

If you encounter this error code, the probable cause may be:
The wiring harness at the back of the instrument cluster is loose or a grounded circuit to the cluster is open.
Also have the Theft light flashing the pattern 1-6 or 16, which I'm told equates (somehow) with the DTC 9681 - which for whatever reason doesn't show up when I pulled the DTC

I am unable to connect via OBDC to pull codes, couldn't connect with the Hypertune III handheld or my BT OBD dongle.

I have verified and also replaced F2 and F30 inthe CJB (interior fuse box) - still need to verify F1.2 at the BJB (engine compartment fuse box).

I pulled the knee panel (well mostly pulled) and found a red / light blue stripe wire had a bullet connector in the middle. Not loose, but I'm going to remove the bullet and solder and heat shrink the connection, tomorrow.

Seems like the truck must have had a remote start in the past (I'm the third owner). I've had the truck since Feb 2012, first major problem, so I guess it's done good so far with 153K miles.

I even sprung for an answer from www.justanswer.com - so far the "professional" has done little to assist. Hoping I can get my $29.95 back to help pay for the tow to the dealer next week.

Could a "weak" battery cause these symptoms? Guess I'll pull the battery and have it load tested tomorrow afternoon.

8/25/13 Update

Pulled the battery and had it load tested at a FLAPS - battery is fine.

Replaced the PCM relay - still the same problem.

I'll updated once the pro's have fixed the problem, since I'm just pulling my hair out on this problem.

Thank goodness for the nice weather, makes it less painful to run the ST1300 to work. :-)

Any ideas?

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by yosso; 08-26-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the truck towed to the dealership, $60.00 tow and a $100.00 repair bill. Problem, a single wire nibbled on by a rodent under the fuse box in the engine compartment. That is all, nothing more, nothing less.

Remember kids, always check under the fuse box for broken wires if you live in the country and your truck stays outside (under roof, but still exposed).

Thanks for reading.

Quick Reply: 2002 F150 FX4 - 5.4L Auto - no start - flashing theft light